HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What are you doing for scent elimination? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/156157-what-you-doing-scent-elimination.html)

MarinePride 09-13-2006 11:46 AM

What are you doing for scent elimination?

With bow season approaching on Oct. 7, I'm trying to decide my strategy for human scent elimination. I can get the platform close to 17 ft. from the ground in my stand trees. Hopefully this will be enough to carry my scent up and away, but you never really know. I'm not going to use a cover scent like skunk urine or any other urine, but I'm ready to try some of the spray on scent eliminator stuff. This stuff is odorless and I'm wondering if it really works?

I have bought some of the Tinks Doe P and the Buck in Rut 1 oz. bottles and some scent bombs to be used for the pre rut and rut. How much credence to you place on scents and scent eliminators for bowhunting? It's got to be important when you want the deer within 20 yards, even with a treestand.....don't ya think so?

The reason I'm asking is because I went into WalMart and they have a daunting choice of scent/scent elimination products. It's just amazing and confusing at the same time[&:]

NavyDeerHunter 09-14-2006 04:43 AM

RE: What are you doing for scent elimination?

Marine,

You'll get lots of different opinions and advice here. Some will say "hunt the wind"...it's the only way. As important as it is to hunt the wind if you can, there are just times that you cant and that makes scent elimination very important.
You may already do some, most or all of this and are only concerned about the final touches...I'm not sure so here's my input.
Start by washing your clothes in scent free soap and/or baking soda and then store them in a scent free container. Personally, I put an old sock full of baking soda inside that container and use it to dust myself with once I get dressed in the field.
Shower with scent free soap/shampoo. Use scent free pit juice.
Don't put on your hunting clothes until you get to the field...if you can.
Finally, the question you really asked is about the scent spray and I use it every time I go into the field. Give yourself and your boots a light misting of the stuff and go for it. In the early season I also carry some scent free wipes to get rid of the sweat of walking to my stand. Wipe off with it and stick the used wipein a zip loc bag and you're good to go.
Oh yeah....Hunt the wind too...if you can. :D
Best of luck.
Navy

StrutnBPS 09-14-2006 10:43 AM

RE: What are you doing for scent elimination?

Navy,
Be careful with that baking soda. Baking soda doesn't eliminate odors it absorbs them. So, make sure you rinse your clothes well when you wash them in it.

Personally, I don't like "cover scents". I like products that kill all scents. The best that I've found is Odor Nix. It was made by a guy to use during an atopsy. I seen it at a local Wal-Mart a few years ago and bought some of it. It works so good, I use it for pretty much everything. I spray it on my truck seats, couch, hunting clothes, everything that I want to get the smell out of.

The Wal-Mart quit carrying it, but I found their web site. The only problem right now is that I am out and their web site is down. Its www.odornix.com. Give it a try.