Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Show Jokes!

Old 09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting Show Jokes!

I guess I have to much time on my hands. Had heart bypass surgery the 28th of July and have nothing but time on my hands, so I've been watching alot of hunting and fishing shows.

What I've noticed is, they shoot a lot of deer that run off. I've been deer hunting since l965 and only had one or two whitetails run off, this ain't counting archery. If the deer is close enough, as on these shows, I'll take a neck or head shot (right between the eyes or behind the ear, or in the neck) any time it's available. If you watch these hunting shows, 99.9% of the time, their deer runs off, I say bull. They're filming for me and you.

I've done it and know that it can be done, you can take a 22 LR and anchor a whitetail or the biggest wild boar in the woods with a 22. Is this a money making deal or do they think we are stupid, maybe they are just inadequate at hunting.

Ok, I'm thru ranting.

dog1
Old 09-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Show Jokes!

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but I was taught to always aim behind the front shoulder. You have a much bigger target (the lungs and heart) than you do with a head shot (brain). If the shot is off slightly it is still likely to do the job whereas a head shot just might take a jaw off. Definitely not a ethical shot in my opinion. But we use shotguns in Ohio, maybe you're just that good with a rifle? I don't think the TV personalities think we are stupid or are inadequate at hunting. I'm sure they were all taught that way too.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

ohbow,

I too, have taken many a deer and hog behind the shoulder, but I can count on one hand the ones that ran more than a few feet. Guess I've been shut in and just tired of watching shows with conversation going on when a deer is close, or he runs off after the shot, which should have droped him. Guess they have got to do something to make their promoters back them.

However, I love the head shot (I'm talking close), neck, ear, etc. Of course I'll be the first to admit, if you have plans on mounting the head, this is not the shot you want to take.However, I no longer care to have a head mounted, I just nail the racks to my barn.

dog1
Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get yourself all worked up now , remember your recovering ok so take it easy.
I don't blame ya though , thats just one of the reasons I stoped watching them dumb shows.
Its all in the editing and marketing , they gotta make it look so exciting.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I watch some of the hunting shows also. Most of the shows I watch feature bowhunting and all of the deer run after being arrowed. This is normal because unless the central nervous system is taken out, the animal will run at short distance. As an bowhunter, all of my shots will be aimed just behind the shoulder with the intent of a double lung shot.

I think that some of these hunting are good, some are just a 30 minute latest and greatest product hawking experiment to get your money.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only had one deer not run off on me, all deer were clean, perfect shots causing the deer no less pain than any other shot. No deer has ran over 200 yards and I have recovered all deer. I think that you are complaining to the wrong people.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:31 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Its illegal in WV to hunt with a rimfire caliber less than .25. I'm not saying that a .22 wont bring one down. Its just not legal.

With that said, I have only had a couple of deer run long distances. I think its funny that many of these hunting shows do not show the kill shot.

The deer comes into the stand. The camera man is right on the deer. Then he pans to the hunter. Blam, giggle, knuckes, thanks god and then you see the guys frantically searching for blood as if they are not sure if they hit the deer.

I would say a lot of TV deer fall as soon as they are shot. My bet is the producers are trying to make a more interesting program by having the hunter track the deer.

IMHO,

BDC
Old 09-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

On hunting shows, generally speaking, they don't do head shots because they want to have the bucks mounted.

I've shot six deer, using a .30-06, or a .243. One head shot on a doe with the 06 dropped in her tracks. One chest shot on a buck with the 06 dropped in his tracks. One chest shot on a buck with the .243 dropped after he took about 3 steps. The other three (a buck and a doe with the 06, and a buck with the .243), all chest shots, ran 30-50 yards before expiring.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I've killed a lot of deer, antelope, etc. Killed my first deer in 1960. I have killed most with a .270 and a few with a .30-06. If you hit them right behind the front shoulder they will usually run a short distance before falling (usually 50 to 100 yards), however I've seen a deer that was heartshot go over 200 yards. If you hit the deer through both shoulders, you will usually drop them like a rock. Ditto for a neck/spine shot, obviously.

Head Shots: Over the years I've seen two deer shot through the lower jaw that were still running around....I would assume they died a slow agonizing death. If you are a good shot and would rather not shoot a deer behind the front shoulder, I'd suggest a neck shot. You'll hit either the spine, the juglar, or flesh...the first two will kill the deer in short order. It should heal up from a flesh wound in the neck.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM

I find it interesting on most of those bow hunts they show on TV it appears to be 3PM in the afternoon and they stick a nice buck. Next thing you know it's pitch black out and the stars are in the skies. What's up with that?! I guess it took the hunter and camera guy 5 hours to get down out of their stands!

Quick Reply: Hunting Show Jokes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.