Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I bought a new gun

Old 09-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default I bought a new gun

Well guys being from MA I dont rifle hunt. But this year I will in NH, so I needed a gun. Here is what I bought

Gun- Stevens model 200
Cal- .30-06
Scope- Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40

Not a real expensive one but I think it is a real beauty. I mean it looks and feels great! I have yet to shoot it yet. Any tips on ammo?

Thanks

Jim
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I bought a new gun

Just pick up a couple boxes of Remington Express 150 gr. PSP CoreLokt's, or some Winchester 150 gr. Power Points. They're all you'll need for deer. No sense paying for the premium stuff unless you're moving up to some bigger game. I use CoreLokt's in my .243 and Power Points in my 06, both with excellent accuracy and terminal results.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 AM

Well that is a good choice on the rifle. It will be hard to beat for the price. I have savage 30-06 (no accutrigger) so we basically have the same gun.
If you are handloading try out the Hornady 150GR Interbonds. I have had great results with them
If your not handloading the bullets listed above are also good.
I have a 3.8X12X44 simmons Aetec on my '06
Old 09-11-2006, 04:01 PM

good luck with it and congrats!!!

-Travis-
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get it sighted in with the cheapest ammo you can find. Then buy several boxes of ammo in different bullet weights to see which your gun likes best. For just deer the 150 gr loads will be more than enough, for larger game 180 gr works nicely. My 06 likes the 165's. You have to see which your gun likes best.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Getting a new gun awalys is exciting especially when you get to scibe that first kill on the stock!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Spike

Good luck on the new rifle. From what I've heard and read the Savage 200 is an excellant choice without spending a lot of money. And you picked the best all around caliber too.

For ammo: I've foundthe Rem.180gr. Soft Point Core-Lokts in my '06, for whitetails and black bear, work just great.This is great load for shooting under 200 yds. IMO of course.

Since this is your only rifle, for now,I would go with the 180gr.,either (SP) Soft Point round noseor (PSP) Pointed Soft Point. This way your rifle is sighted in and will be ready for anything you might want to hunt in the Northeast, and all of the lower 48.

The difference between the (PSP) and (SP) is the (PSP) has a flatter trajectory and retains morelong range energy. (PSP) loads are typically used for long open shooting distances at 200+ yds.The 180gr.(SP)
Core-Loktround nose is mostly used where shots are close, in thick cover and or woods typehunting.

Winchester and Federal ammo is also very good. But I've found, especially when I'm out of state, Remington ammocan be found just about anywhere, where as the others are not easy to find.

You may know much of this already. Being this is your first rifle, and being new to rifle hunting,I included it just in case.

Let us know how & whatyour new gun shoots.

Good luck...NYCHunter
Old 09-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

good piece of hardware....get sum trigger work done and you are good to go
Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot 150 grain Winchester Power Points, them bullets are accurate and will anchor a deer... That is all i shoot in my 30-06, in my 243 I shoot remington Core lokts just cause that what I got for christmas....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since your from Mass I could have saved you a bunch of money I would have sold you my Remmington 742 and scope for $150.00 too much rig a marole selling to and out of stater. Good luck with you new gun I hope you score with it.

Quick Reply: I bought a new gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.