Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whitetail in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc. >

Whitetail in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Whitetail in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.

Who here has hunted the western Canadian provinces and what has been your experience?
Old 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whitetail in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.

I hunted in the Edmonton Bow Zone last year and I had a great hunt despite not even getting a shot. I did have 2 cow moose 20 yrds from my stand, that was awsome. Alberta is "land of the giants" but getting one with a bow isn't easy.
I saw 5 bucks that week but no shot opps. You just need to realize that at any time during the rut, the buck of your dreams can come by your stand. That's the kind of place this is. You need to hunt All Day to maximize your chances, and it's not easy, but important.
I will be back there again this season, Nov 13th-18th. I'm pumped!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:01 PM

lucky you..!

wished i could get there..

good luck !
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up in Saskatchewan and have lived in Alberta for 26 years,so I have hunted both provincesfor many years.Deer densities are lower than in much of the southern states,but the deer are much larger in body size,and the chance of a huge racked buck is always present.If you get faraway from the cities and into the rural areas,the hunting pressure is much lower,and the odds of killing a large buck are much better.The exceptions to this are the bow zones around the major cities where the chance of a good trophy are also quite good.Where I hunt 130 to 140 bucks are quite common and we do see 150 or bigger bucks every year.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM

I have been to Saskatchewan twice and Alberta once. I loved hunting them both. I killed two 160 class bucks and saw a bunch that scored around 130. It seemed to me that Saskatchewan had more deer than Alberta. Both have potental for nice bucks.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

As I said before " must be nice".

TP
Old 09-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had the oppotunity to hunt WT deerin Canada 5 different times. I hunted Saskatchewan 3 times and Alberta twice.... if this would be your first hunt in Canada I would suggest you hunt Saskatchewan because you are likely to see a lot more deer and the fact its legal to bait ...but personally I like to hunt Alberta...you most likely will not see a lot of deer but when you do see a buck he's generally a bruiser... I will be back there this year with a buddy of mine between Nov 12 and the 23rd ...

dd
Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live in Saskatchewanand have hunted Albetra a few times, both are excellent. Saskatchewan has the numbers and averages, where Alberta seems to put more top end deer down each fall. I'd say in Saskatchewan with an outfitter 150 would be a reasonable expectation, their are plenty that go higher but most average the 150 mark. Bare in mindthe majority ofoutfitters in Saskatchewan hunt the forest zones, great for numbers/low pressure but antler growth suffers to the farmland or fringe area that Alberta can hunt. Main reason baiting is legal and employed by 99.9% of the outfitters here in Saskatchewan.

Trophy deer exist in all 3 prairie provinces (Sask, Alberta and Manitoba), considered to be the top destinations in the world. However they aren't tied up behind every tree, expect to sit all day,be able to field judge, let our large bodied animals walk, dress warm and a little luck don't hurt either.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter that is an excellent post ... some "hunters" on here frown on hunts that require an outfitter and they think its just a slam dunk ...but not many would want to sit 11hrs a day.. day in day out in high winds andbelow freezing conditions to hunt a WT deer... and then if you are lucky enough to see a shooter to be able to execute the shot ...its can be a heart breaker and atuff tuff hunt ....

dd
Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Doc, your right on the money. People need to realize that as a nonresident you MUST have a guide to hunt the beautiful Canadian north woods, and hell no, it isn't easy. The first 2 days of my hunt last year I didn't even see adeer! I was aware of this being a possibility, but I kept a positive attitude. This is a must, they just don't have the numbers like in the states! But the B-D ratio is 2 or 3-1 instead of 10-1 like here in Pa.
Doc, I wish I could afford 2 weeks like you, it gives you much better odds so I'll just have to get it done in one.

Quick Reply: Whitetail in Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.