Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Screw in Steps vs. Climbing sticks? >

Screw in Steps vs. Climbing sticks?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Screw in Steps vs. Climbing sticks?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Screw in Steps vs. Climbing sticks?

I like and use climbing sticks/ladder versus screw in steps. I do not feel secure in climbing on screw in steps when less than optimal conditions, such as rain and snow or low light. I prefer to heft a little more weight of the climbing sticks versus the risk that many "cheesy" screw ins provide.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Wow! Why would anyone climb a dead tree regardless of using steps or sticks? You're taking your life into your own hands when you do this. I've been using screw in steps for over 20 years. I've had the old, blunt tiped, hard to use single piece steps break when frozen, but when using the more expensive two piece screw in steps, I've never had a problem. You get what you pay for. You must also remember to not use the same hole for your steps. They wear out and the step will pull out. They will also pull out if you don't screw them into the tree properly. They should always lay nice and flat against the tree after being screwed fully in. It is also possible to screw them too far into the tree which can cause them to try and lever themselves out of the tree. I have over 50 steps. I always check them and maintain them. Throw away the bad ones. Bent, rusty or loose pins should be discarded. Your life is not worth the risk. I always carry 15 with me when setting a stand. I can go from 3 to 30 feet with that amount. The extras are used for hanging bows, calls, rattling antlers, binos, cameras etc. The climbing sticks are nice also, a bit cumbersome, but easier to use as you get older. Eventually I'll just be using a ladder stand and then a ground blind until I retire from hunting.
It was mid November and all the leaves were off the tree, and my friend did not notice that in fact the tree was dead.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

sticks are safer...more of a pain to lug, but worth it.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Climbing sticks all the way. I hunt on my private land so I can leave them out there. I have nine lock ons up with climbing sticks. The Strong Built sticks are not that expensive and they are just as safe as any other brand. You can get 16 feet for 39.95 at Walmart or 20 feet for 49.95. Check your local sporting goods store because sometimes the 20 feet stick goes on sale for $39.00.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

screw ins
Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 AM

I have had a climber for about 8 years now and won't trade it for anything! Back in the early days, I used the screw in steps and those worked OK. Negatives are that you spend too much time screwing them into the tree if you don't have a permanent tree from which to hunt, dangerous when screwing in the upper steps, they make too much noise, you work up a sweat, if you carry too many they get heavy. I never used the climbing sticks, but I prefer the self climber.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Its just plain hard to hold yourself up n the tree while screwing those steps in. Then you have to hang a stand, clibing sticks are the only way to go, other than a good summit climbing stand..
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM

I've only used the steps and do so because I'm either hunting public land that allows them or private land that I can keep a stand up as long as I want. The steps are nice and solid if put in correct and I have yet to have one fail ( knock on wood! ). I hate the wobbly feeling of ladders and have never used these sticks. You have to be extra careful when they are wet or it is dark, but they work for me.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the stepladder system, they are tie on steps that are rock solid once on the tree. Faster and more portable than screw in steps (which are illegal here in NH) and easier to carry around than climbing sticks/ladders.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:26 PM

I like the sticks. They are more expensive, but they take a lot less work. And here in the South, most of our land belongs to timber companies who don't want you screwing anything into their trees.

I also don't like the fact that the tree might get some kind of diease and die. Espically if you are hunting out of a oak, which due to timber companies are few and far b/t here in SC.

Quick Reply: Screw in Steps vs. Climbing sticks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.