Thought about trying it myself this year!!" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Has a Mock scrape ever helped you in killing a buck? >

Has a Mock scrape ever helped you in killing a buck?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Has a Mock scrape ever helped you in killing a buck?

Old 09-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Has a Mock scrape ever helped you in killing a buck?

If it has , tell me how...
if not...tell me that too.....
Thought about trying it myself this year!!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Has a Mock scrape ever helped you in killing a buck?

last season i picked up some hot scrape scent and put it on a mock scrape i made on the edge of my food plot. then i put some of the scent on a boot pad and walked around my stand in some random patterns and then got set in my stand to see what would happen. the very first time i did this i had an antlerless deer (looked like a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 yr old doe, but could have been a button buck) come in and sniff the scrape and then follow my scent trail exactly. i mean it was on the trail like stink on deer poo, i circled around a small tree and the deer did exactly that. i was amazed. the deer finally gave me a shot and basically i never recovered the deer probbly due to error on my part. hope this helps, do a search on here for mock scrapes to try and get some info on how to do them exactly, im by no means an expert in that area, i just know it worked pretty well for me last year and i plan on doin it again this year. good luck
Old 09-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I to have been wanting to try this. i have heard of people hanging there own licking branch with a piece of string over their mock scrape if there is not a natural one in a good place where you have hung your stand. Whats a good scent some of you have been trying??
Dan
Old 09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I have killed bucks over mock scrapes. I use that method every year and it pays off. I make the scrape under an over hanging branch. I then put a tarsal gland on the over hanging branch. Then I place dominate buck urine on the tarsal gland and in the scrape as well. Then I put Tinks 69 in the scrape. Then I just wait them out. I always rehydrate the scrape and tarsal gland eveytime I hunt that setup...
Old 09-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used them to get a deer to stop in a shooting lane. But other than that I havenever felt they were called in by the scrape being there. Just a matter of once they were in close I could get them to walk where I needed in order to get a good shot.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:56 AM

Yes, in 05' I harvested a buck that would not come within shooting range .O made a mock scrape using Southern Whitetail Scents product called Hyper Heat. He couldn't stand it and came in about 5 minutes before dark!
He weighed 236 lbs and scored 131". I am a faithful user of Southern Whitetail Scents porducts- check um out at www.southernwhitetailscents.com
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 PM

hmm..

may give this a try..

i was always afraid of never seeing anything, due to them finding scrape at night..