Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting NW MN

Old 11-07-2002, 03:21 PM
lcc

Default Hunting NW MN

ok I got one for everyone. I hunt in NW MN, just outside Pelican Rapids, MN on the edge of the Red River Valley. This year an area farmer has about 2000 standing acres of corn. Great for the deer but how does a person comtend with all that corn for hunting. We have permission to hunt on about 500 acres of that corn. Generally we setup ground stands on areas around the corn where main trails have been found throughout the year of scouting. The prediction so far this year is for 45-50 degree temps for highs and lows in the 30's and a 30% chance of rain. The zone I am in is only a 2 day hunting zone. It has been widely reported that the number of hunters is down alot state wide. The entire party uses no-scent for clothes and body, cover scents and attracants. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-07-2002, 04:06 PM

Default RE: Hunting NW MN

Icc,
According to the reports I have read recently (I am from MN also), the hunter numbers are not down very much, a couple percent at most, and may not be down at all by opening morning (they were 6000 off last years total as of a week ago). I did see the reports you talk about a while ago, but it has changed. However, to hunt the corn, it is fairly easy in theory, a little harder in practice. Go into the wind as much as possible, crosswind is good. Walk perpendicular to the rows. Stick just your head into the next row, carefully look up and down the row, then slowly move into that row. Repeat, repeat, repeat. The hard part is the wind, if it is directly perpendicular to the rows, you end up dead ended on one end of the cornfield and have to walk with it back to start again. If it is crosswind, it works a little better but you are only hunting the upwind side. Problems occur when there isnt much wind as you will make too much noise. I wouldnt even try it if it is real quiet and dry out. Move slow and with luck you will see them bedded in a row. I would recommend only 1 person in a cornfield at a time for safety reasons. A little snow would help immensely.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:59 PM

Another Mn hunter here. The late harvest here is making it hard for us hunters this year. I have a similar problem, but luckily I have an elevated stand, and overlook a still standing cornfield to the north, a nice stand of crp in tall grass to the south, and a small swamp just to my west about 15 yds. As of tonight, the corn is still standing. If it doesn't get out tomorrow, my gem of a spot gets cut in half. If the farmer should start harvesting over the weekend, it may not be a bad thing, if he should flush some deer my way.

As for your situation, I would look for trails going into the corn, or maybe some low, swampy areas that may be adjacent to the field. Because when the shooting starts, there will be alot of deer on the move, and the swamps will be a popular place, along with the cornfields......good luck
Old 11-08-2002, 10:01 AM
lcc

Hi thanks for the replies guys, checked last night and all that corn is still standing! But getting back I hunt with a party of about 10 people this year (3 first time hunters) We do position ourselves in just the areas you described. We also see very heavy trails in and out of that corn. It has been my expierence that when that corn is standing like that that we are in for a hard hunt. It seems that when the deer in that corn they do not move! Course have also seen that they become almost stupid in the corn. Feeling so secure there. I do have have a question for everyone. Do find that they deer live inn the corn, meaning eat and sleep there? Or do you find them still coming out of the corn for additional food such as clover alfalfa grass etc.. Most the fields in the area have low spots in them some with water others without. Have hunted for years in this area and have standing corn before but nothing near the amount standing this year.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:08 PM

I don't think they prefer to live in the corn, but will if hunting pressure is on. They are pretty safe in there, but like you said, they may stampede you or, you could catch one off guard, depending on wind, and what stage of the rut.

I lucked out. The corn field behind my stand got picked today. Funny thing is, the is a "No Hunting" sign right next to my stand in that corn field. So, I'll have to wait for them to cross the fence into the crp ground. And hope if I hit one, he doesn't run back across the fence. Even so, I'll drag it back across before I dress it. Good luck out there, and be safe.