Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to Put out food

Old 08-23-2006, 12:49 PM

Default When to Put out food

I was just curious as to how early before season you guys would put out something similar to deer cocaine, and poor some corn out. Just wondering how long before opening day you would do this.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 PM

Default RE: When to Put out food

I would get it out ASAP. I have had feeders up since June. I have the same bucks constantly coming to them and occasionally I will have pics of new ones that are starting to come. The longer the food source is there the better. They will come with regularity. It also depends on when your season starts. It takes a couple of weeks for the bucks to warm up to the new food source. Does and fawns will be drawn to it instantly. I would recommend some type of feeder system though. I would not just dump corn on the ground. That would be gone in a couple of days from the does and fawns if they are hitting it hard. If you are planning on dumping the corn on the ground I would dump it a couple of days before hunting. This would get them to stop and at least give you a shot.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:11 PM

I have an unlimited supply of corn and have already put it out just wondering mainly about the deer cocaine and how long it will last and how long before they hit it.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:12 AM

if your using corn i would check with dnr regulations, making sure it's legal.

here in ga. you can't hunt around corn unless so many yards away from it.

so i really don't even fool with it..
Old 09-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Salt/Cocaine is used through spring and summer months...should have been out. I use corn from june-season...get it out asap.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:33 AM

The best time to put it out is in the spring time and keep it going through the summer. I hear they are more prone to hit it on a regular basis when they need the extra minerals while growing antlers. But I have seen button bucks/does have a blast with the stuff even in late winter. Just get it out asap so they can have time to find it. As far as how long it will take to find it depends on how active the site is. I have had places where I put it out and they NEVER touched it. But I have seen it hit with in a few weeks.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

In FL, we have to place it out 6 months before the season and stay 100yds from it when the season opens.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed, you should already have it out. If not, you have some work to do tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually start around the 1st. of August!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:55 AM

I started putting out corn 2 months ago.

Quick Reply: When to Put out food

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.