HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Dumb hunting laws! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/153168-dumb-hunting-laws.html)

js2397 08-25-2006 06:27 AM

RE: Dumb hunting laws!

Most hunting laws are not based on science. For instance the reason you can only have three shells in your gun when you hunt ducks is the hunters that use double barrel guns felt like they were getting cheated. Another example is crossbows. The only advantage they have over a compound bow is you don't have to draw them. In Indiana you can't use an electronic deer call. I don't think by using a prerecorded call the deer are going to come in by the hundreds. In a lot of states you can't hunt using bait but you can plant a food plot, apple orchard, or anything else and hunt over it. What is the difference in setting out a bucket of apples or hunting over an apple tree that just dropped a bucket of apples? In some states you can not shoot white deer. What is the reason for this? They are not an endangered species they are just a genetic freak. If a law seems to make no sense you can probably blame your fellow hunters for pushing to get a law passed that benefit their hunting style and has nothing to do with the management of the species you are hunting.

Mike Hill 08-25-2006 08:57 AM

In Mass.
1. No Sunday hunting
2. No hinged opening Muzzle loaders (even thou it is only capped by hing)
3. Shotguns only for deer no rifles (but ok for Bear)
4. Archery season dosen't open until Mid October. All surounding states open in Sept. (and they complain we have too maney deer)

In Connecticut
1. No hunting after sunset (The 1/2 hour after sunset the best deer movement)
2. You need a certin form provided by DEP filled out and signed by the land owner a note or letter from the land owner is not good enough (some land owners can't be bothered)
3. No Sunday hunting
4. Deer lotery for Nov. deadline is Mar.15

lovethebigguns 08-25-2006 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

In Mass.
1. No Sunday hunting
2. No hinged opening Muzzle loaders (even thou it is only capped by hing)
3. Shotguns only for deer no rifles (but ok for Bear)
4. Archery season dosen't open until Mid October. All surounding states open in Sept. (and they complain we have too maney deer)

In Connecticut
1. No hunting after sunset (The 1/2 hour after sunset the best deer movement)
2. You need a certin form provided by DEP filled out and signed by the land owner a note or letter from the land owner is not good enough (some land owners can't be bothered)
3. No Sunday hunting
4. Deer lotery for Nov. deadline is Mar.15
Wow Mike, those do kinda suck!

s. il. hntr 08-25-2006 06:07 PM

Just found this one out today. In IL.,to apply for the state run pheasant hunts you can start applying in june, but the reg. book just came out mid august, so how do you know? to add to this, the only way to apply is directly to the game farm that supplies the birds. and you have to do it on line and with a credit card.

to all who live in a state where its illegal to hunt on sunday, WTF, how did they ever come up with that? man if that were the case here, i would only get to hunt about 5 times a year[:-]

tj_cubin 08-26-2006 12:35 AM

Another example is crossbows. The only advantage they have over a compound bow is you don't have to draw them.
umm... not even going to go there

Rhody Hunter 08-26-2006 05:46 AM

years ago in Rhode Island you had to put your name and address on your arrows . They got rid of that one
I feel bad for for the states that still have the no hunting on Sunday thing that is so out dated . some day you will catch up with the rest of the country

Hotburn76 08-26-2006 07:42 AM

Well lucky for me I live in the great state of ohio and the DNR have most of their ducks in a row. We can hunt on sundays, they dont discriminate against the crossbow hunter and let the long bow hunter have more time in the woods cause he is some how better. You can also bow hunt 1/2 hour after sunset when its prime time. But just today I was reading close because of this thread and its said when you pursure furbearing animals at night, (coon, yotes and such) If your by yourself you must have a light that can be seen from 1/4 mile away in any direction. But if you go out with a group of guys only one guy has to have a light. So in a sense, when by yourself and have a low chance of being shot, you have to have a light, but put ten guys in the woods shooting and only one guy has to have a light, I would beg to be the guy with the light!

Hedgie 08-26-2006 05:10 PM

DougE--the legalhunting hours in PA are from 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset(page 14 of the 2006-2007 hunting digest).

02bhntn 08-28-2006 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: kd7mh5

Kansas

It is illegal to hunt rabbits from a boat!!!!

You know someone had to try it for there to be a law about it.
It's illegal o hunt deer from a boat in Virginia

wis_bow_huntr 08-28-2006 01:05 PM

good wi law 1/2 before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. the best hours anyone could have