Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Here is a good tip for all you hunters out there. >

Here is a good tip for all you hunters out there.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Here is a good tip for all you hunters out there.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Spike

Default Here is a good tip for all you hunters out there.

Want to tag the local legend?Move away from obvios staging areas and go deep.

STAGING AREAS ARE GREAT places to hunt if you want to bag a buck. But if you want to kill a big one,you need to back up. While does,fawns, and young bucks tend to gather on the brushy edges of prime food sources an hour or so before dark, the largest bucks on a given property usually avoid these major staging areas during legal shooting hours. Instead , they hang back in isolated spots of thicker cover or rougher terrain, a little closer to bedding cover. I think of these as micro, or fringe, staging areas. Mostly micro staging areas are roughly 1/4 to 1 acre in size they may only be 50 to 100 yards back from a main staging area.But always remember to look for thick like jungle cover and look for any buck signs that you can find i that area. This is an all day stand tactic becuse if you want to shoot the big buck in that area you must let the younger deer go by without spooking them. And then the bigger deer should know that it is safe to go thru there now. And then you can take home a nice buck.

P.S This took me a while to write and i know that this tip will work well for any hunter willingly to shoot a local giant. GOOD LUCK HUNTIN AND PUT YOUR STAND I THE SPOTS I TOLD YOU IT WILL PAY OF GOOD.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 PM

Default RE: Here is a good tip for all you hunters out there.

although this is good advise the areas you are refering to are also right on top of bedding areas and if you do not approach safely and with the perfect wind you will bust the bedding area and as we all know if you bust a big deer in his bedding area he will relocate or you will ruin the bedding area. but you are right the most nastiest darkest deepest part of the deer woods is where the big boys lay but its a hard task to undertake. those big giants dont get that way by being dumb and with an animal whose nose can sniff 6 parts per million this makes them alot smarter then us and we need to use total scent control as well as use the wind to our advantage cause no matter what you buy to eliminate scent they can still out smart us so use the free tool at your disposal and use it wisely. hunt the wind when going to the big bucks house.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Thanks. It will help some of the new hunters I am sure. I always hunt my usual spots on opening day, etc. But as the season gets into the 3rd/4th day, I go deeper where most hunters would not bother to hike for the very reason you stated. Yeah, the drag is longer on the way out, but it's great to talk to the other hunters on how you bagged a trophy!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

Dude, you have plagerized that out of an article in one of the most recent hunting mags. I read the article, you copied it word for word. You are not the author of that article, you are a fraud.[:'(]

It's a darn good tip though.

No respect for you.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

This does work for me. my spot is around 200 yards inside the fringes fairly close to a bedding area and easy to approach from two sides without getting busted when the wind is right. killed a fair # of deer there.
Dan
Old 08-22-2006, 04:40 PM

I read that too, FRAUD!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM

What this doesn't tell you is that this is how you gradually progress during the season . Big daddy gets more reclusive as teh pressure rises, but if you go charging deep right off teh bat, and youget seen or scented, he will relocate or simply go nocturnal until the rut brings him out and he may be in teh next county by then! Go slow diving into thicker cover--especially near bedding areas!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Dude, you have plagerized that out of an article in one of the most recent hunting mags. I read the article, you copied it word for word. You are not the author of that article, you are a fraud.[:'(]

It's a darn good tip though.

No respect for you.
[/align]

Old 08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Field & Stream Whitetail handbook page 130
The Trophy Hangout by GERALD ALMY

Old 08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

In all fairness, while he didn't claim to have NOT written it, he likewise didn't claim to HAVE written it...

Thanks for passing along a good tip.

Quick Reply: Here is a good tip for all you hunters out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.