HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How dark is to dark to shoot? what range of sight? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/15299-how-dark-dark-shoot-what-range-sight.html)

chris10 11-07-2002 11:05 AM

How dark is to dark to shoot? what range of sight?

I've often wondered what time it has to be before you can shoot or how light it has to be. Last couple years I've sat in my spot and heard shots ring out before I could see anything. Then as darkness falls at night I've heard shots when I need my flashlight to get out of the woods. When should you shoot and when shouldn't you? How far should you be able to see before you take the shot?

Thanks,

Trouserchili

txhunter58 11-07-2002 11:33 AM

RE: How dark is to dark to shoot? what range of sight?

In most areas, legal shooting light is from 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset. If you are in flat terrain, and there are no clouds, you can just note when the sun dissapears and shoot for the next 30 minutes. In rolling terrain, this doesn't work and of course, it doesn't work in the morning.

Since sunrise/sunset is changes every day, the easiest thing to do is to check a local paper in the area you are hunting for sunrise/sunset times and go by that. There are also links on line that will give you these times for any locality. In reality, you can most likely be legal if you can still see the deer clearly with your naked eye. If you can't make him out clearly (not only is it a deer, but is it a buck or doe) without the help of a scope, it is probably too early/late.

The shots you heard were most likely before/after legal shooting time, so I wouldn't use them as a guideline.

Sven 11-07-2002 04:08 PM

Terrain, tree canopy, and weather will have an effect on your shooting light. If you are sitting deep in the woods down in a valley vs sitting on a field edge that's on level ground and open to the west, it's going to be darker in the woods at the same time in the day. If you have a dark cloud over your head, and a couple miles away it's clear, it will be lighter with clear skies.

It may also be that the other persons low light sight is a little better than yours. Just like normal vision, some people have better nightvision than others.

Now if you are talking about it being 5:55pm and sunset was at 5:15pm, then someone's breaking the rules, assuming the law is 1/2hr before, 1/2hr after.

---
Live: Oregon, IL
Hunt: Knox County, IL

Deleted User 11-07-2002 04:36 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Buckstopshere 11-07-2002 05:15 PM

When you can't see the crosshairs on the shoulder of the deer, you're done.

model722 11-07-2002 06:19 PM

I agree with the other post. If you cant get a good shot don't take it. Plus remember if its getting close to dark (evening), and you shoot. You may end up doing some tracking. It sucks tracking deer in the dark.

thundermug 11-08-2002 03:49 AM

One thing to keep in mind is after the shot you have to find the deer. Most deer that are lost and not recovered are shot during evening hunts, when the shot was taken just at the end of legal shooting hours.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what it's all about?

PaulBear 11-08-2002 05:02 AM

I agree with everyone here,I shoot instinctive so site's are not a factor for me but even if i can make out the outline of the deer and still have half an hour of legal time I still wont shoot to riskey and it's not worth the chance of a bad hit

Tazman 11-08-2002 07:48 AM

In Va. as with almost every where it is 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after that is legal. That being said lets talk about what is ethical, as long as the hours are legal I use the following criteria, if I can not put the pin/sights on a selected spot, it is to dark to shoot. Paul I am like you, only my dad called it natural, when I shoot a gun I never even think about the sights, it just happens, it is hard to explain, I just wish I could develop this comfort with a bow.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

timbercruiser 11-08-2002 08:22 AM

My scope is a quality scope with a 56 mm lens. You can plainly see a deer with it when you can't make it out with your naked eye. It is a matter of when you feel it is legally necessary to get out of the tree.