Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Theft

Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Theft

OK I have spent a lot of money on tree stands and metal ladders. I have found that simply by puting a chain and a lock on my stands it stops a lot of would be thievs as they don't usually carry a hack saw or bolt cutters when they are out in the woods. But??????? I haven't figured out a way to lock my metal ladders to the tree. they come in 4 sections and it would be rediclous to lock every section to the tree. Has anyone come up with any good idias for this yet I have been really thinking about this problem and can't come up with any good salutions. The ladders are almost as exspensive as the stand. And not just that but nothing ruins a hunt more then going to the woods and the place where you put your stand and find that it or your ladder or both are gone. Your morning or afternoon stand is gone. they stole it too when they stole your strff. Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Theft

On the joints you could drill a hole and put a small diameterbolt through with a odd size metric nut, even better if you had some rounded head bolts and putdouble nuts (so they would have to have two of the odd size wrenches)or run a cable through the hollow legs somehow.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Heres how we do it... We go to wal mart and buy the 20ft dog cables. It usually only takes one cable for the 15 ft ladder stand. We wrap it around the tree and then go around each section and then lock the 2 ends together... Pretty simple. The deer dont even notice the color of the cable which is red.. It will also help secure the stand but we make sure the stand is secure before we ever put it on there...
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions guys I may try the bolt on thery. I am not sure about the dog chain how do you attach it to the ladder if you just wrapit around can't they still get the ladder.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

You've got to be a totally lifeless assclown to go out in the woods and steal a friggin deer stand. I'd booby trap the damn thing.[:@]
Old 08-22-2006, 08:59 AM

I agree! This is the third thread I've read regarding tree stand theft![:@]
Old 08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Just a question? Why do you guys use these cary in latters. I never got that. What's wrong with screw in steps that you can take with you. That might help.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: tschammel
What's wrong with screw in steps that you can take with you.
The screw went flying imto the brush and I couldn't find it.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 PM

we go around and find used 40 ft extension ladders and then seperate them so you end up with 2 20 ft sections. then all you have to do is lock the ladder and stand together at the top of the system. this way there are no sections to worry about and we have picked the ladders up for about 50 bucks. which comes out to 25 bucks per 20 foot ladder once we seperate them. but we dont have a theft problem but its a suggestion for you to try and it makes it easy for set up as well. but remember locks only keep the honest guy from stealing them. if a thief wants it bad enough they will get it. if you have a theft issue i would just use a climber and be done with the problem
Old 08-22-2006, 01:03 PM

The antis and bad hunters are out there that would not think twice about taking your stand. I trust no one and never leave my stand in the woods. I spent too much money on mine and have become attached to my stand like a good hutning dog to ever worry about losing it to a thief!

Quick Reply: Theft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.