HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I need help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/152943-i-need-help.html)

Deerhunter_515 08-21-2006 06:28 PM

I need help!

My second year of deer hunting is coming up.What would be the bacics a 13 year old kid like myself would need to have a succesful hunt?

HollidaySlim 08-21-2006 07:20 PM

RE: I need help!

My best advice to you would be to find a mentor, nothing beats the help of an experienced hunters help.

take-em 08-21-2006 07:34 PM

I agree with Slim, and if you cant find a mentor start going out and learning about the deer. Gosit by trails watch bedding areas and just generally get to know the deer, and if you can't do that...well thenwhen deer season comes find a goodtrail and sit with the wind in your face.
good luck

take-em

Rebel Hog 08-21-2006 07:38 PM

#1 and most important, safety,safety,safety.
#2 Learn hunting ethics
#3 Learn all you can about nature
#4 Learn all you can on finding Rubs, Scrapes, Tracking, Funnels and Bedding.
#5 learn on how to field dress and butcherDeer and Hogs
#6 Become a Marksman or Sharp Shooter with the weapon you choose. Practice,Practice, Practice.

Can you sit at the piano and play Beethoven's #5? NO, but if you applied yourself and learned and alot of practice, you soon will!

TimberCreek 08-21-2006 07:55 PM

I agree with everyones comments and let me add a couple. Be safe,and don't get discouraged. Don't try tohard. If you go out and enjoy the woods, relax and get the attitude that it really doesn't matter if you see a deer today, it is hard to believe but you will see more deer.

one on one 08-21-2006 08:02 PM

WELL PUT,R.H. dh515, hunt hard & be safe

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

#1 and most important, safety,safety,safety.
#2 Learn hunting ethics
#3 Learn all you can about nature
#4 Learn all you can on finding Rubs, Scrapes, Tracking, Funnels and Bedding.
#5 learn on how to field dress and butcherDeer and Hogs
#6 Become a Marksman or Sharp Shooter with the weapon you choose. Practice,Practice, Practice.

Can you sit at the piano and play Beethoven's #5? NO, but if you applied yourself and learned and alot of practice, you soon will!

mudtutl 08-21-2006 08:56 PM

Spend time where deer live when you are not hunting. Watch and learn about them and their surroundings, the creatures and the plants, the streams and the hills. Keep your mind clear, always. Be open to anything and everything you hear, see, touch and smell. Don't trust only your eyes; more often a sound or smell will tell you more. Don't kill just because you can.Sometimes the best hunts are those that end without a shot fired.Trust yourself to do whats right, but bring a flashlight and matches just in case. Enjoy every moment.Good luck.

NBDeerHunter 08-22-2006 05:39 AM

I agree with all the advise above and remember this too. You don't have to shoot a trophy book deer to call it a success. Your first deer and every deer is should be a trophy no matter how many points it has or if it even has points.
Enjoy the total experience and be glad that we can take part in somethign so special

Capt416 08-23-2006 08:59 PM

A young kid your age proably has a hard time sitting still. Find a good deer trail make a ground blind to hide in, watch the wind, make sure it is not blowing toward the trail and sit still,sit still and sit still for as long as you can.Pay attention to movement and sound and you will get a deer. Stay in the blind until at least 1100 hrs. if not all day. Good luck

PS: help an Adult with some shores around the houseand I am sure he will be glad to take you hunting.

45 Cal Bill 09-02-2006 05:08 AM

ditto capt416..

i keep telling my son the quicker we get our work at home done the quicker we get to the woods..

listen to what the others are saying..
also remember " if mama ain't happy, no one is"