Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

whose deer??

Old 08-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default whose deer??

I've been thinking about how everyone who owns there hunting property or leases it they always refer to the deer as belonging to them. As in saying "i better not catch nobody poaching MY deer." So really whose deer are whose? Ihave always thought that the deers was wild animals and belonged to no one. I just thought i would get a few opions on the subject. thanks cecil
Old 08-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: whose deer??

if a deer is SHOT on MY property, it is MY deer.

Now, if a deer is shot somewhere else and runs on my property, thats fine, i'll even help you find the S.O.B.

I usually dont use the term "my deer" anyways, but thats what I think about it. If someone is scaring off the deer on my property, I still refer to the deer as "the deer" and not "my deer." However, if someone is poaching or trespassing on my land, I can refer to that as anything I want, and those fellas better get the hell out of Dodge because I aint gonna be too happy. Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:17 PM

Well I think you are fishing so I'll bite. I believe you already know the answer to the question you are asking.I am guessing you don't own land and are trying to figure out how landowners who spent allot of money on their propertywould deal with someone who doesn't own land andtrespasses or poaches. Wild deer belong to no one while they are alive. Now in my state and my properly posted property, a deer shot on my property is mine if it falls on my property (and I have a valid landowner tag). I know all my neighbors and we have agreements if one of us shoot one and it goes on the others propertywe help each other get it out. Now if someone is illegally on my property and shoots one! The deer, the person and their property belong to me until the law arrives then we all will sort it out in court.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: brushbuster

I've been thinking about how everyone who owns there hunting property or leases it they always refer to the deer as belonging to them. As in saying "i better not catch nobody poaching MY deer." So really whose deer are whose? Ihave always thought that the deers was wild animals and belonged to no one. I just thought i would get a few opinions on the subject. thanks Cecil
Like has been mentioned already, if the deer has jumped the fence onto my propertyand you shoot it, it's not yours any more! What's on my property is mine and if you try to retrieve it you are Trespassing.If that happened to me I would contact the owner of the property and explain it to him and offer him half of it. If he says NO, there's nothing I can do about it.

In the first place, I would havenot shot the deer and controlled my shot if I seen it go over the fence onto someones property.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would say that until the deer is shot on any piece of property it belongs to everybody, unless you have a high fence pen. I think the correct phrase would be "I'd better not catch anybody poaching on my property."
Old 08-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

In Pa. the state says all deer belong to them. But yet when their deer damage a car they wont take resposibility ??? They wont feed the deer ???
All things belong to God ,end of discussion
Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

in fact i own 2 differ hunting properties.i used that phrase i better not catch no body poching my deer just for an example.and im not talkin about the deer after u shoot it im talkin about while it is still roaming around on the hoof.i think im gonna have to go with cardeer,that all things belong to God. thanks alot.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer belong to "the public", but, the land they are on generally is private.If you go on private property,without permission, and shoot a "public" deer, you are a trespasser and a poacher and deserve to be permanently deprived of your hunting rights.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:16 AM

I agree...no poachers on my land. [:@]
Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

In my state the deer belong to the state until you legally harvest one , then it becomes yours once the permanent tag is affixed at an authorized check in station . If you shoot one and it runs on to private land that you don't have permission to be on the property owner may legally claim the deer if he/she has a valid license and a deer tag or lifetime resident license .

Quick Reply: whose deer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.