Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

moon phase?

Old 08-24-2006, 02:02 PM

Default RE: moon phase?

I don't think I have taken a deer on a day close to a full moon. Often in the fall when bow hunting I come up empty and on my drive home I keep telling myself not to bother hunting on mornings following a full moon with clear skies at night. But, I hunt when I can and that's that!

I do like what MikeVT says...walking to the stand at 5AM with a milky-white glow from the moon without the need for a flashlight.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:03 PM
gtk
Spike

Here is a link to a post I made on my website, that contains graphs I have created based on MoonPhases & #of deer photographed. I have almost 2 thousand trailcam photos, and store them in a database so I can create graphs like these. 95% of the photos were taken around hunting season.

I hunt when I can, but the data is still interesting, and there is no doubt the moon does play a factor in deer movement.

Here is one graph

The rest are here...
http://www.msdeer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=818 (if external posts are not allowed, please remove)
Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

When there is a full moon deer move more during the middle of the day. At the opposite when there is no moon they will move in the morning and evening.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

The Waning Gibbous Moon
Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Full moon hunting isnt all that till you get into the rut. Then its on! Also, the full moon can affect the intensity of the rut and even push or pull the beginning of rut.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

I half to hunt, like most hunters, when I can also..
But , what I was wondering is how the moon phase might effect the way I hunt..
For example...
1)whether I move or stand ...fields or thicket... feeding area or bedding..ect.
I used to work in a hospital, you would be surprised on how the moon effects people let alone deer.
Thats where the word "lunatic" comes from...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Awi

Ive been following moon phases for several years now you can Hunt by them , I have a Garmin Gps Vista with hunting and fishing time on it,it is calculated by the moon phases and you can almost set your watch,by it,It has Excellant days Good Days ,Avg, Days,On all these you can almost set your watch.on the poor days Ive noticed I dont see many deer or any deer I often thought about on those days Id catch up on chores,but its hard to stay out of the woods when not at work.I need to check into that barometer thing though.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 AM

........ I think alot of this is toooooooo funny.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Awi

I need to check into that barometer thing though.
23mm | Hunt Whitetail Deer when the Barometer is Falling

Can you tell if the Barometer is falling when you do not have one on hand?

Quick Reply: moon phase?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.