HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How will HIGH gas prices effect YOUR hunting this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/152583-how-will-high-gas-prices-effect-your-hunting-year.html)

DoctorDeath 08-19-2006 05:45 PM

How will HIGH gas prices effect YOUR hunting this year?

I posed this question last year when gas was about $1.75 per gallon ...now that it is almost $3.00 per gallon I ask this question again .."How will high gas prices effect your hunting this year" ??

dd

squirrelkilla23 08-19-2006 05:48 PM

RE: How will HIGH gas prices effect YOUR hunting this year?

I go out my back door and i'm there in 3-5 minutes of walking

wayomic 08-19-2006 05:57 PM

The biggest effect will be that I won't drive the Jeep unless I need the 4WD and I'll use the 40mpg car instead.

gregholland 08-19-2006 06:10 PM

10 mile drive to my spot(s), so it will not affect it at all. Thank God.

bob d 08-19-2006 07:50 PM

won't affect my hunting at all, you got to have your priorities ,if you go hunting you can come home with meat to eat so that eliminates the need for groceries

timbercruiser 08-19-2006 07:55 PM

I've already got close to $4,000 invested in the leases and clubs so a little gas won't matter a lot.

RDHunter 08-19-2006 07:59 PM

The price of gas will not effect my hunting in fact I'm going to do more hunting local and up north this year.
As of the end this month August 31st I'm going to retire from where I work , just in time for the hunting season.
Talk about good timing .... huh .

SuperRedHawk 08-19-2006 08:09 PM

I have only a six hour drive each way! How will it effect me? Not good! But I will still go every chance I get.

GregH 08-19-2006 09:32 PM

Hey Doc, this won't effect my hunting at all. It will effect my wallet though. I workedOT today to help out. As I get older I feel like hunting more not less.;)

retrieverman 08-19-2006 09:34 PM

I will still hunt as much, but my extra scouting trips will be cut out. I hunt behind my house here in Texas, but my Oklahoma place is 9 hours away. I am really debating right now about going up Labor day weekend. I would like to see my place before muzzleloader season in October, BUT...$$$

TimberCreek 08-19-2006 09:47 PM

I have spent close to $50,000 for land, cabin ATV's etc. A few extra bucks for gasfor my enjoyment won't kill me but it sure makes me mad though.

jamiebuck 08-19-2006 10:06 PM

Its not going to affect my hunting this year DD,DRIVE ABOUT 5 MILES TO 2 DIFFRENT ARES I HUNT,AND FORTY MIN, TO ANOTHER SPOT. GAS JUST WENT DOWN UP HERE IN MA. WENT FROM 305 TO 289[8D]

one on one 08-20-2006 06:39 AM

want effect me a bit, i keep three part times jobs going in the off season,well one is the honey do list,lol

DoctorDeath 08-20-2006 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

The price of gas will not effect my hunting in fact I'm going to do more hunting local and up north this year.
As of the end this month August 31st I'm going to retire from where I work , just in time for the hunting season.
Talk about good timing .... huh .
RD CONGRATS on your retirement on MY birthday August 31rst ...good luck to you and hope you have a HELL of a season !

dd

mnsqueeze 08-20-2006 07:12 AM

oh it will affect me., but im still goin to do so ., i have in my budget,. that from sept thru dec that we have to allow more$$ to the gas fund,. so this will really help me ., and my wife, so she is not so madd at me for over spending on gas., i tell her ,hey we need to eat this winter ., hehe!! she replys back .,get this ., WHATEVER:D:D:D., have a safe hunting season everybody!!

DoctorDeath 08-20-2006 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: mnsqueeze

oh it will affect me., but im still goin to do so ., i have in my budget,. that from sept thru dec that we have to allow more$$ to the gas fund,. so this will really help me ., and my wife, so she is not so madd at me for over spending on gas., i tell her ,hey we need to eat this winter ., hehe!! she replys back .,get this ., WHATEVER:D:D:D., have a safe hunting season everybody!!
MAN talk about PREASURE ...MN you best be bringing home the bacon ole buddy :D

dd

NY Bowhunter 08-20-2006 07:26 AM

Fortunately my hunting land is close enough where it won't effect me too much. However I will have to part with a couple of my "other" pieces of land that I have hunted in the past.

mnsqueeze 08-20-2006 07:34 AM

dd yes it is always preasure around here during hunting season., no it really is not ., i have my 13 year old daughter goin again this year and maybe my 20 year old daughtergoin for her first time .,my wife is so good about the hunting season ., she knows this is what i love to do and has been since we said "I DO" 24 years ago ., so it is all good here in MN., and the freezer always gets filled for the winter., good luck to you this year and be safe., !!

BIRD DOG 08-20-2006 10:18 AM

Well, I just have to figure out how I am going to get my gun, deer stand, blind, and other accessories on my ten speed! I believe that I can figure out how to strap it all on the bike - couple of stretch straps and some old milk boxes - just might do the trick - I will make sure that the reflectors work properly so that I can be safe on the way home - also some type of sound system - don't get me started!

Champlain Islander 08-20-2006 10:21 AM

Same answer as last year. No change in plans. Instead of a road trip to Newfoundland we are going to Colorado which is about twice the distance. Instead of hunting in Central NY we are going to Ohio which is about twice as far. Since gas is about twice as much as last year at least we are being consistent.:D

kevin1 08-20-2006 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

I go out my back door and i'm there in 3-5 minutes of walking

Me too , but I still like to hunt other places too .
There's a spot in the Hoosier Natl. Forest that won't be on my list this year , no out of state hunts at all , and unless it's fairly close I won't be traveling much at all . My county has a very high antlerless limit , as do most of the surrounding counties , so I won't have to go far anyway .

tsoc 08-20-2006 12:07 PM

Locally it will be a non issue for me.For my out of state trip in November it will be interesting to see how the air fares will be.Still going though!:D

bloodcrick 08-20-2006 02:24 PM

The gas station is farther away than my hunting area.
Dan

AntlerAddict07 08-20-2006 06:59 PM

I worked 44 hours a week all of my summer for a reason. funds for hunting season. ill be going everyday after school and both weekend days all day i hope. have a good season everyone.

Jeff Ovington 08-20-2006 07:19 PM

:D:D:D........
Just tradedmy 94/95 Honda Prelude in for a F350 V8 Diesel......Thatsmy new "family vehical"cause the wife complaining about me using her car to drive the kids around..
Now she's pissed cause I told her it wasn't worth getting rid of my
Toyata Tacoma and my 1975 Land Cruiser (that gets 6mls/gal) cause I didn't want tobang up a brand newtruck while hunting in the bush......:D
Nope Gas prices won't be affecting me and my hunting, just my wife shooting me will......:D:D

Bow_hunter15 08-20-2006 09:23 PM

just have to have to git the big one first day

NBDeerHunter 08-21-2006 09:46 AM

i have less than a 5minute drive and 10minute walk so fuel prices don't matter.

wis_bow_huntr 08-21-2006 10:07 AM

2 minute drive and depending on which stand maybe 15 minutes max to get to the stand.

Dirt2 08-21-2006 10:41 AM

Won't affect me. I drive 600 miles for a week of hunting in eastern MT, and the additional price for the whole trip will be about $50 more than last year. Why would that affect me?

I still say the furor over gas prices is overblown as all get out. Your poll kind of demonstrates that, where for all the p---ing and moaning, 67% say they are personally unaffected. My best math says that gas prices today are effectively 20% or so higher right now than they were in the early '70s, pre-Carter. That doesn't seem like something to turn the world upside over to me.

derekt28 08-21-2006 10:51 AM

I am going hunting, and really, nothing will stop me. All I can say, if gas keeps climbing anything past $4 a gallon, I’ll expect full service stations, you know like the ones in the 70’s. Overall, this is a time to be with good friends, have fun, share stories, and mainly oink around in the woods.

longrifle1000 08-21-2006 12:23 PM

I will still be hunting on our farm every chance I can get. But it is only a 10 minute drive. I will still be taking a couple of in-state trips as well. Just had to cut a few costs that were not as important to me over the summer.

Serioushunter1 08-21-2006 12:33 PM

I hunt about 100 miles round trip and hunt then entire rifle season. I hunt on my best friends farm so I will now be staying the entire season with them instead of driving back and forth. It will be excellent since I hunt from sun up to sun down every day. I actually might get some extra rest.

gutshotem 08-21-2006 02:58 PM

I just started a new job that extends the distance to my grandfather's farm. It now costs me about $75 to make the trip there and back. With all of the cash I spent this year traveling back and forth to scout, hang stands and plant my plots I prob could have just paid for a lease. I don't think it will affect the amount of time I spend in the woods, but I don't think I'll get to hunt my favorite spot as much as I would like.

sffguitar 08-21-2006 04:55 PM

its gonna be tough on me this year, as my spots are abot an hour an a half away, but sometimes you just gotta suck it up for your priorities.

Mike Hill 08-21-2006 06:13 PM

I usually start my hunting year bowhunting in Ct. but because it would cost me $70.00 just on gas a week for 2 days a week of hunting I have cancelled it. I will only go to Ct. with a gun this year. I will lose a month of the best bow hunting in New England. Wit the cost of home heating oil I will put the money I saved by not going to home heating oil. I just filled my oil tank and it was $680.00 for 250 Gal. last year I used 4 tanks I sure hope we have a warm winter.

huntmdown2 08-22-2006 09:17 AM

Yeah, I agree the only thing it'll affect is the wallet not the hunting.;)