HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   boring deer stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/152404-boring-deer-stands.html)

Mike Hill 08-18-2006 09:44 AM

boring deer stands

OK Folks I know the season is comming up soon and everyone has visions of that Buck of a lifetime in there heads (me too) but as anyone who has huntie for a while knows it dosen't always happen that way. We sometimes spend hours, days on stand without seeing a thing we want to shoot. My wife on my butt about doing work around the house or just takinging a nap. So my question to you folks is. What so you do to not be bored on your deer stand. I usually hunt from before sun up till about 10:00 am and then hed back to stand at about 2:30 pm. But I would sure like to stay longer and even do all day hunts. I,m not a newby to deer hunting as I have been at it about 40 years. Maby its because I hunt too much which is just about every day form Oct. 16 till New Years day. Any good suggestions would be nice. thanks Mike

quiksilver 08-18-2006 10:16 AM

RE: boring deer stands

I usually sit dark-to-dark, so I think I've tried every trick in the book to stay focused in the stand...

My favorite is an earbud withAM/FM radio.

College football every Saturday - talk shows in the morning - music all day. If you get an MP3 player, you can make your own playlist. If you have a satellite receiver, you can listen to Howard Stern or anything under the sun.

I use only a left earbud (I'm a right-handed shot), leaving the right one laying loose down inside my shirt or jacketcollar. I hook the unit onto my belt and run the wires up through my Under Armour, and hang the earpieces out the neck with enough slack to be able to turn my head both ways. If you set the volume low, you'll be able to hear both the radio and everything going on in the woods. It's never a problem, and it definitely helps me stay on stand on those days when things are really slow. I pop it in and turn it on for a while, then take it out again.

I also take my cell phone with me, and leave it on vibrate. I have a small headset that works really good, so I call all my buddies (everyone in the "IN" network, at least)on stand around 9:30 to see what they're seeing. You can easily sit at 18-24 feet and have a full whispering conversation on the phone without spooking any deer. I've fielded calls with deer right under me before.

A cameraor a hand-held video gameare alsonice thingsto have in the woods. You can screw with those to waste time too.

I also read sometimes, but I hate having to scramble to put the book away when I get some action.

Finch 08-18-2006 10:51 AM

I usually take a book to read. I don't read during the off season but I can put away a couple during hunting season. John Grisham books are my favorite. You can really get involved in a book which means less movement and opens those ears up as well.

WKP Todd 08-18-2006 12:33 PM

I used to think the same thing, then one day it hit me; "If I'm not seeing anything, I should probably move"??? Then I bought some nice equipment to allow me to move easier, and the rest is history. Now I hardly set the same stand twice, and the proof is in the pudding!

MN_Deerman 08-18-2006 12:36 PM

I usually spend about 6 hours in a stand at most and the only thing I really do is think. I've never been so bored that I had to leave, I just enjoy being there and hearing all the ambient sounds around me. Of course a pocket full of sunflower seeds doesn't hurt either....;)

NBDeerHunter 08-18-2006 01:35 PM

I don't usually get bored while in the tree stand. I tend to sit until about 10:30 - 11AM then go back in by 3pm in the afternoon. Usually there is some sort of wildlife around to keep me entertained.
Sometimes I even put out a bit of bird feeda few feet from me and watch the wild birds come in close ....all the chirping keeps everyting sounding undisburbed .
I just put the bird feed on a small board that rests on a couple of branches..
Outside of thatits just a pleasure to be out in the woods

GregH 08-18-2006 02:30 PM

I'm never bored in my stand. I maintain a positive attitude at all times. I usually hunt mornings until 10 AM and evenings from 2 PM until close. Sometimes I modify these time periods. During break, I eat some form of bacon and eggs, then nap in my TRUCK. Respect. Sometimes I hunt a stand repeatedly, if conditions allow. 14 mature bucks with a bow. More respect. Do what it takes.;)

uncballers45 08-18-2006 03:10 PM

TDWW- Under Armour is a skin tight piece of clothing that keeps you warm (or cold) and still lets your skin breathe easily. it actually works quite well.

uncle matt 08-18-2006 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF

quicksilver,

Your post shows signs of respect. Not an all out demand, but I like the indications that are there. I believe it is safe to say that I like the direction in which you are heading.

Quick question for you. I cannot lie, I have a difficult time staying on the stand dark to dark. I usually have to head back to the tent (no cabin, no trailer, only a tent.....respect) and eat around noon. Guys, when you have guns just STARVING for nourishment, you have to keep those boys fed. So I go back and eat a couple of ham samages, bag of Doritos, 3 or 4 Kudos bars, a 20 oz Coke (Southern product....again respect), and maybe a few oreos.

But back to my question.....over the years, how much success have you had twix the hours of 11am and 3pm? Also, how old are you, what region of the Yankee infested north do you hunt, and what do you typically eat for breakfast day to day? Not just on hunting days, but every day. you can tell a lot about a man by what he eats for breakfast on a day to day basis.

Hope your family is well. What the heck is Under Armor?

I have had quite good success between 11am & 3pm. Anywhere I've hunted off my farm has plenty of wimpy southern boyz that got to get back to their camp or truck for whatever reason (doggy diaper change most likely - respect) by midday so that gets deer pushed, spooked or moving - and I'm waiting. And then, after their warm bottle and nap they are ready to get "back out there" - where I am still in wait.

As far as what "guys" are eating or want to eat ........... what does it matter when all you are serving is super-sized BS sandwiches?

For those of you who really want to know any ways to stay out d2d (dusk-to-dark) here is what I do. I want to have atleast two places I will be in. Sit in 1 stand til whatever time. When I need to stretch or move a bit, I climb down and stand at base of stand for a while and then either go back up or move to another very close by stand or blind for awhile or maybe even the rest of the day. I may move back to position 1 - or not. If wind changes or weather is moving in I will probobly put a stalkand spot on. Options. A,B or C- know your wind and have them! Just my 2 cents.

And .......................................

there is that smell again!

mnsqueeze 08-18-2006 05:16 PM

im never bored in stand ., on the weekdays i get off work i go out hunting., on the weekends im out there early in the a.m. and then home around 11 a.m. then back again at around 3ish., when the rut gets closer i stay out all day long., during the gun season the best time for me has been from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. everybody leaves to go get something to eat or walk and that pushes the deer right by us every year., the colder it is the earler the deer movement for the other hunters are to cold to sit., there ya have it ., good luck to you all this year and be safe!!