HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Suggestions on a stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/152367-suggestions-stand.html)

agaucher 08-18-2006 01:00 AM

Suggestions on a stand?

Hey guys,

I recently set up a couple whitetail stands on and around a swamp.

What are your experiences with whites in swamps, will they venture out in them once and a while? Do theyt stick around them much? they a good place to rattle?

Any direction will help - Ive seen bucks in the area, just not had the luck of tagging one in this location yet. Heres a pic from my stand...

rebfan78 08-18-2006 01:12 AM

RE: Suggestions on a stand?

BEAUTIFUL STAND LOCATION! I WOULD TRY MY LUCK THERE ANYTIME.

Vogt_51 08-18-2006 03:39 AM

They will probably be around the field edges alot. Just my opinion. Looks like a great location with lots of visiblility. GOOD LUCK!

wis_bow_huntr 08-18-2006 05:39 AM

Depending on your e prevailing wind and if it is what it looks like just about center of the picture back in them pines, it looks as if there may be a corner. Id setup somewhere in the vacinity of that corner, deer love corners. but id try my luck anywhere there.

RDHunter 08-18-2006 08:43 AM

Looks like you picked a good spot , if you can see them out theretry rattling you should be able to being them in.

primos 08-18-2006 05:50 PM

your spos to set a stand a lest 40 ft from a feild

primos 08-18-2006 05:52 PM

your spos to set a stand 40 ft from a feild

Hotburn76 08-18-2006 08:58 PM

Well my one friend that moved here from IL used to hunt a swamp. He has many big racks on his wall at home. Hetold me that he hunted a fifteen acre swamp in a woods that had a small, I mean a small 10'*10' island in it. He said that it was only about 12 to 18 inches deep and he would wade out to it and sit on a homemade chair and wait for the big boy of the season to come back and bed down. He said if you did not know how to look you would not see the deer bedded down, but would climb a tree and check to see if the buck would be home or not. If the deer was their he would just leave since their is no way he could stalk that close in the wide open water and not be seen, but if the buck was gone he would wade out and sit in his chair that he made that would not sink into the mud in the cattailsand ambush the buck on they way in to bedding spot. He said it was like a spot they must fight over cause all his bucks were nice size, not all B&C but not small six pointers or anything. He said he took all his bucks every year off that island. He almost turned down the promotion that he got by coming to myplant because of this site. So I have never hunted a swamp but he still cries about his old honey hole.

edit: spelling

Anthony T. 08-19-2006 01:12 AM

Swampgrass is a deer delicisy man. It's some tender stuff, I'd say you'll catch a few deer in the grass around the swamp.

heeze gutshot shortee 09-15-2006 09:25 AM

hot days..we all need a drink...thatsa honeyhole