Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Choke for slugs

Old 08-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Choke for slugs

My son shoots rifled slugs with a improved cylinder choke tube and it shoots Great.
Dan
Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

IC or modified will work. Try both to see which is more accurate with a particular load. My mossberg was more accurate with the modified choke in it. You can shoot most rifled slugs with a full choke, but they usually are not that accurate.
I took one last year with a 20 gage with a modified choke and Foster slugs , it hit right where I aimed it .
Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Nova also, luckily I picked up the combo with the cantilever rifled slug barrel last year for $400, complete package. As soon as you can affordi it, get the cantilever rifled barrel. With a bushnell holosight I hit a 3" group at 100yds and can aquire a deer in the sights quite quickly. Unfortunately, finding a barrel at a decent price isn't easy for the Nova.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Spike

Yeah if I had the money for a barrel I would definatly go that route...Would it be more accurate shooting rifled slugs out of Modified choke, or sabots out of a rifled choke? What exactly is a sabot anway?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 PM

I shootWinchester riffled slugsout of my winchester with a modified choke and it works for me. I just use the bead on barrel hasn't failed me yet. Keep in mind I dont usually shot much over 50 yards.

Sabots are an expensive slug thats supposed to be more accurate. I've never tryed them but my friend says their really accurate.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I WOULD CHOOSE MODIFIED CHOKE FOR SLUGS. IMPROVED SHAVES A LITTLE LEAD OF THE SLUG, JUST A LITTLE TOO TIGHT,AND CAN THROW IT SLIGHTLY OFF TARGET. RIFFLED CHOKES ARE FOR FOSTER SABOTS. EVERYTIME I'VE USED A RIFFLED CHOKE, IT PUTS A BIG SPIN ON THE SLUG. AT 50 IT'S HIGH, 60 IT'S RIGHT, AT 70 IT HITS LOW. IT HAS TO BE FULL RIFFLED BARREL OR NOTHING. WITH NO CHOKE, YOU DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE THE THREADS. MODIFIED CHOKE FOR RIFFLED SLUGS IS THE BEST CHOICE.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BIG TUNA

I WOULD CHOOSE MODIFIED CHOKE FOR SLUGS. IMPROVED SHAVES A LITTLE LEAD OF THE SLUG, JUST A LITTLE TOO TIGHT,AND CAN THROW IT SLIGHTLY OFF TARGET. RIFFLED CHOKES ARE FOR FOSTER SABOTS. EVERYTIME I'VE USED A RIFFLED CHOKE, IT PUTS A BIG SPIN ON THE SLUG. AT 50 IT'S HIGH, 60 IT'S RIGHT, AT 70 IT HITS LOW. IT HAS TO BE FULL RIFFLED BARREL OR NOTHING. WITH NO CHOKE, YOU DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE THE THREADS. MODIFIED CHOKE FOR RIFFLED SLUGS IS THE BEST CHOICE.
An improved choke is more open than a modified, not tighter. Chokes go as follows(not to include speciality chokes) from tightest to most open

Full
Improved modified
Modified
Improved
Skeet
Cylinder
Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunterdeneugene

ORIGINAL: BIG TUNA

An improved choke is more open than a modified, not tighter. Chokes go as follows(not to include speciality chokes) from tightest to most open

Full
Improved modified
Modified
Improved
Skeet
Cylinder
And I never heard of a foster sabot. Foster slugs are rifled slugs without sabots, Saboted slugs are slightly smaller than the gauge of the barrel but are in a plastic sabot that the rifling of the barrel or choke tube puts a spin on, then it separates from the slug after it exits the barrel. The slug retains the spin, making the saboted slug more accurate at longer distances.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 PM

If you want to use rifled slugs ( NOT SABOTS) you can use a modified or improved choke. Both of these have worked fine for me.

If you want to use sabots you can get a rifled choke from various makers, but my favorite is a Briley diffusion choke. It does me well at the range out to about 176 yds with partition golds. This is the furthest distance I have tried with this choke, because the rod and gun club was making renovations last season and the furthest I could shoot from the temporary range was 176 yds.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:50 PM

look into the rifled choke tubes

Quick Reply: Choke for slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.