HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151938-any-truth-b-s-rumor.html)

lovethebigguns 08-15-2006 04:09 AM

Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor???

I'd heard that the legislators in Indianaare considering allowing us to hunt with lever guns in certain cartridges.

Have y'all heard anything about this?

kevin1 08-15-2006 07:38 AM

RE: Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor???

They are in fact considering certain centerfire cartridges and rifles , leverguns have been most prominantly mentioned . It won't be this year though . Try a search at the site listed in my sig line , they are an Indiana specific site with a lot of info . This topic was discussed there recently .

ipscshooter 08-15-2006 08:24 AM

Interesting... Seems odd, though, that they would consider lever guns and not others. If the concern was errant shots flying a couple miles into a populated area, then it seems to me a caliber restriction would be more appropriate than an action restriction. What would be the practical rationale for allowing a BLR in .308, but not a Model 700 in the same caliber?

kevin1 08-15-2006 09:57 AM

The reason for considering "cowboy" rifles and cartridges was actually their lower velocity and range , they aren't even thinking about the 30.06 or other high velocity cartridges . Mostly they've been discussing the 30.30 and 45-70 . Whatever they decide upon will have to be a straight wall cartridge of low velocity .

Kybuckhunter 08-15-2006 02:21 PM

But they can shoot a modern in line muzzle loader that can shoot 200 plus yards now. It's time they get out of the dark ages.

lovethebigguns 08-16-2006 02:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

But they can shoot a modern in line muzzle loader that can shoot 200 plus yards now. It's time they get out of the dark ages.
Exactly...

That's why I was glad when I heard that they were even considering this.
As you mentioned, I can shoot my Encore 209X50, 200 plus yards, and even with Hornady's new LeveRevolution in my 30/30 or 444I wouldn't take a shot farther than that.

Also, thanks kevin1 for the link, I'll check it out.

DoctorDeath 08-16-2006 05:19 AM

Gezzzzzzzz you cant use a rifle in Indiana ??? Here in Alabama you can use most ANTHING short of a Bazooka .... man what country is Indiana in anyway????

dd

kevin1 08-16-2006 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Gezzzzzzzz you cant use a rifle in Indiana ??? Here in Alabama you can use most ANTHING short of a Bazooka .... man what country is Indiana in anyway????

dd

A large percentage of the state is flat and has little cover , so for a long time it's been felt by our DNR that having large numbers of people firing high powered rifles might be a bad idea , despite evidence from other states to the contrary . It's a policy that I've never personally agreed with , especially in light of the fact that most species other than deer and turkeys can be hunted here with nearly any weapon you might choose . Non-game species and sanctioned crop damage permit culling literally have no weapons restrictions at all , neither does varmint hunting . Game laws aren't always rooted in science , sometimes all it takes is a few people whining about something they don't even understand to get it restricted or banned .

lovethebigguns 08-16-2006 09:13 AM

I agree with you Kevin1.

I don't have a huge problem with not being able to hunt with rifles, I just think there are some inconsistencies in our laws,
For example, I can hunt cayotes and groundhogs with my Model 70 300 Win Mag, but not deer. But if I put a 15" 300 Win Mag barrel on an Encore pistol I can hunt deer with it.

Another, I can hunt deer with my Encore M/L and effectively and comfortably take deer at 200 + yards, but I can't hunt with my Model 94 44 magnum, which limits my shots to a hundred yards or so.

Again, just a couple of things that really don't make sense to me.

My suggestions: (If anyone cares)

Placecartridge restrictions on us. Be specific. List any and all cartridges that are legal, (regardless of type of action) and simply state, EVERYTHING else is illegal.

What do y'all think?

ipscshooter 08-16-2006 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

dd

I think Illinois and Iowa are the same way. Shotguns only for deer... Stupid gun Nazis. One of the many reasons I moved from Illinois to God's Country. I mean... Texas.