HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer in velvet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151915-deer-velvet.html)

Alabama Slama 08-14-2006 09:19 PM

Deer in velvet

When do deer normally stop growing their antlers under their velvet? Because when i get deer in velvet on my trail camerasI want to be able toestimate how much biger they will get.

Arrowmaster 08-14-2006 09:26 PM

RE: Deer in velvet

Deer begin their growing as soon as they drop their sheds. Usually they start appearing in the spring. Bigger bucks drop their antlers sooner than smaller bucks. Thus the bigger bucks start appearing before the smaller ones... Just my take on it anyway...

Alabama Slama 08-14-2006 09:47 PM

thanks so in about in early june do you think that the deer are pretty much done growing in their velvet.

USNRETHunter 08-14-2006 10:11 PM

Bama,
Fromall sources that I've read, antlers are fully grown by late August/early September. June is really no indicator as deer antlers can grow as much as 1/2" per day in the peak growing season. In June, they are growing like crazy. Look for late August.
If it's any consolation, if you saw a nice rack in June.....

smokingoose 08-14-2006 10:17 PM

I would say as a rule of thumb, right now they're as big as they're gonna get.

m.t.hands 08-14-2006 11:23 PM

I would say as a rule of thumb, right now they're as big as they're gonna get.
if not there are very close, from my trail cam pics i would say that late aug/sept they have grown all they are going to, i have some trail cam pics i'll try to post tomorrow, most will be shedding the velvet in a month around here, at least thats what i have recorded on my trail cam pics for the last 3 years

what in the world is the bama slamma doing in missouri[&:]

Anthony T. 08-14-2006 11:30 PM

I also say if you see a buck in velvet around mid august, he's about done.

Bambeklr 08-15-2006 02:18 AM

You can usually tell when the deer are still growing there antlers. They are balled up at the ends. Like a knot. They should be about done growing by now. My bow season in delaware starts on september 1st. I cant wait.

Alabama Slama 08-15-2006 10:03 AM

well thanks you guys and to m.t.hands i may be from Missouri buy I'm a Crimson Tide fan all the way.

hillbilly17 08-16-2006 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: USNRETHunter

Bama,
Fromall sources that I've read, antlers are fully grown by late August/early September. June is really no indicator as deer antlers can grow as much as 1/2" per day in the peak growing season. In June, they are growing like crazy. Look for late August.
If it's any consolation, if you saw a nice rack in June.....

Yep..... I have pics in My trail cam of a deer in June and then August 8th .... Huge difference, I mean well over 4 to 5 inch difference per tine.