Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hornady SST Slugs

Old 08-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady SST Slugs

I'm new to hunting and I am looking to practice before season comes. Today a gentleman reccommended using Hornady SST slugs, so I bought some and will most likely shoot them in the next couple weeks. I was just wondering if anyone has used these for deer? They seem quite a bit lighter when compared to other similar sabot slugs. It says they are 300 grain and shoot 2000 fps. The trajectory on these are as follows: 50 yrd= +2.4", 100 yrd= +2.7", 150 yrd= 0.0" and 200 yrd= 6.7". I'll be using a Remington 12 guage w/ rifled barrel. Is this ammo agood way to go and what other sabot slugs should I look into trying? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady SST Slugs

Most of the modern sabot slugs should work fine for you, the key is to find the brand that works in your gun. And (I believe most will agree with me) not your make or model, but your gun. The problem is, that can cost a lot of money at $2+ a slug (Hornady, Remington CorLokt, Federal VitalShok, etc).
I personnally sight in at 100 ydswith a bushnell holosight, no magnification. For sighting in, I use whatever I can find that is cheapest, (typically a Brenekke, purchased at a gun show). I then use what works best for me, which is the Federal VitalShok slugs with Barnes Expanders. They have a good flat trajectory and good retained energy. I shoot a 3 shot group and adjust if necessary (not usually). I like the 2 3/4 inch with the 3/4oz slugs.(Federal also has 2 3/4 and 3 inch versions with 1oz slugs).

Anything inside 100 yds, I aim at the kill zone and know that I'm within 2 inches.No deer can survive that. Here in central Iowa (as probably in PA), it is unusual to take a shot outside 100yds.

At 300 grains, the slug you mentioned is essentially 5/8oz, typically a 20 ga slug. You didn't say whether you were shooting 12 or 20 ga.

I just realized that this is long winded and maybe rambling. In my opinion...if they shoot well for you, use them. From 100 hunters, you'll get 150 opinions.

Bottom line: No deer can survive any slug within a well aimed 12 inch diameter circle within 100 yds from a good slug gun and a steady (well practiced) shooter.

Happy Hunting.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry Troutman, I erred on your state but had the 'region' right. not PA but NY. Either way, lots of wooded area. I'll stick with my comments.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help! I'll be shooting a 12 guage. Not to sure on how heavy the Hornadyslugs are b/c I'm at work right now (maybe I can check online). I agree with you that I most likely shoot over 100 yards, so they should be alright. I'll look into Rem. Corelokt and Federal VitalShok as well. Good hunting.