Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer gun questoin

Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer gun questoin

I am no expert on firearms but if you want a flat shooting rifle I would suggest a .270. This caliber has enough power to kill most any medium sized game, including beers with the proper amount of bullet weight! If your not worried about recoil I would recommend the 30-06 due to being able to go anywhere in the world and having the ability to purchase ammo. My brother in law was able to find some really cheap foreign made 06 ammo while he was serving time overseas in some country i think it was uzbecistan or something,that is a break off of the soviet union.
Hope the advice helps
Old 08-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

It's amazing at the pages these threads make up. The answer to this is about any of the chamberings named will do the job in proper hands. I like anything betwen a 25-06 t0 30-06 for deer and black bear. They'll all do it.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Spike

Nice looking rig. Now the key to you being happy with it is to go out to the range and shoot it. Over and over again. Get it sighted in properly, of course, and experiment with varying cartridge manufacturers and bullet weights till you find the one that provides the best accuracy for your particular rifle. Believe me, it makes a difference. But practise, practise, practise. It should become second nature for you to shoulder that rifle, acquire the sight picture, and squeeze off a shot.

I shoot a Browning BLR in a 30-06 with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope. I grew up shooting a Marlin 336 lever action 30-30, so I wanted to stay with a lever in a bigger rifle. I am completely happy with it. I know a lot of guys say a lever isn't as accurate as a bolt, but I shoot 3 shot groups of 1" to 1-1/4" @ 100 yds. consistently with this rifle and that's as good as any bolt action that I've ever seen (or heard of, for that matter). I shoot Winchester Supreme 165gr. and I've never been disappointed.

Anyway, good luck with your new rig and happy hunting!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Congrats on your new rifle. I still remember when I got my first high powered rifle. Which was my Remington 700 chambered in .270win.

Did you get the .270win or WSM?

Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM

i ended up with the .270 win. it was a tough choice between the wsm or the regular .270 but the gun i ended up liking the best didnt come in the wsm which was ok because the local wally world doesnt even carry the wsm ammo and i was looking around at ammo prices and a box of wsm is like $30 and a box of regular .270 win was around $12. in the end im happy with my choice cuz the gun feels good and the ammo is cheaper and it will get the job done hopefully.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 AM

There's nothing bad about your choice and yes it will get the job done as long as the shooter gets his job done. So, practice.

What rounds do you plan on shooting out of it?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations. You made an excellent choice, and at any practical hunting range, you're not giving up anything by getting a .270 Win.rather than a .270 WSM. Out to 400 yards,a deer isn't going to know the difference. And, with the decreased ammo price, you'll be able to practice more and become more proficient. The only thing you're really sacrificing is excess muzzle blast and recoil.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

.270 all the way. Flat shooting. I'm buying one in the next couple of weeks for my son to take deer hunting. He just turned 13. I am going to use Remingtons Recoil Loads to start him off with. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

You'll find the 270 to me milder recoiling and better performance on close up game in the woods than with a wsm. I think anything over 3000fps is too fast in close range.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

you hunt.. you pay ..you decide. its up 2 u