Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer gun questoin

Old 08-21-2006, 03:20 PM

Default RE: deer gun questoin

Well, it seems like this post has turned into a pissing match instead of actually helping the guy out. Like usual.[:'(]

Not to step on anyone's toes, but some of you really need to do a little research before you jump into a pissing match.

I agree almost 100% with DAVOH.

Find a gun/rifle that fits your body and then go from there. It doesn't matter how much power you have or lack, if the gun/rifle doesn't fit you are going to flinch or not be able to shoulder it properly, which is going to effect you down range.

Then theres the whole magnum craze. Read up, what do you think people were killing animals with before the mag's even came out?

Do the research, the .270win and 30-06'are the two most popular hunting rounds through out history. Why is this? Because the simply get the job done. I have owned a .270win my whole life and would use it to hunt all, but two animals in North America and these would be a Grizzly and a big Moose.It might get the job done on them too, but personally I want a little more lead when it comes to these two.

The statement that a .270win is a poor choice for bear (assuming that it was meant for black bear) is as false as false can get. Read the ballistic charts of a .270win with a 140gr. and 150grbullet.

Now being more versatile. If you measure this by the different weights of bullets that you can buy from a store (factory loaded), I really don't think one caliber would out number the next. In today's market, pretty much each bullet company makes each kind of popular bullet for each calibler. So, most of the caliber choices have at least three to five bullet choices straight from the factory.

I would say that one of the poorest when it comes to finding bullet choices is the .308win. Which is ashamed b/c its one of the best hunting rounds there is, but from sales, it isn't as popular.

Most of the different calibers and esp. the magnum rounds were not developed b/c they were "needed" for hunting. They were developed b/c they were "needed" for sales. Guns are like cars, you have to come out with newer models that are "faster and better", to make money.

The 25-06's is also another great rifle that would be more than enough for the vast majorty of hunters here in the US, but wasn't really pushed by the manufactors so isn't that popular.

Point blank, there is really no "big game" rifles on the market that wouldn't work for 99% of the hunters in the US. It really comes down to the buyer's choice and ego.

So, to help this guy out a little (based on my opinion). You wouldn't go wrong with any of the calibers that you listed. Although (JUST ME), I would stay away from the .243. It works, but FOR ME, I want a little more lead.

If I were in your shoes, my list would have been:

.270 win or wsm
25-06'
30-06'
.308win

Then if you want to have a magnum:

.270 WBY mag
.300 win mag or wsm
7mm mag

There's not a caliber on that list that you could go wrong with. Some are overkill, sure.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot rem 700s in 30-06 for some time. I wanted a heavy barreled rifle in 7mm for longer range shots at the end of the Sendero I hunt, but the rem folks quit making the sendero model in 7 mag unless you wanted the stainless fluted barrel. I just prefer the matt finish thats all. Several gunsmiths swore that the Savage was a great shooting gun, so I held my nose and bought one. It has an ugly cheapo stock that looks like it came off of an air rifle, the fit on the action is pretty good, but not as good as the 700 in my opinion. The finish is truly unremarkable. The accutrigger took some getting used to, but is quite functional.Some guys at the range kind of look at you in disdain while they crank rounds out of their accurized, floated barreled custom triggered rifles.. That being said, it is the best out of the box shooting rifle I have owned, bar none. With the money I saved on it I was able to buy a Zeiss Conquest target scope. The scope cost more than the rifle. Loaded with 140 grainWinchester Ballistic tipsit shoots groups thatrival most custom made guns. Not bragging, its just that good, and yes it's that ugly.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:05 PM

I've read several post like yours.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM

There are alot of bad opinions about the remington 710, not a well liked rifle. I would suggest a savage or stevens(made by savage)for an inexpensive rifle. I think the 243 would be a bit small for deer, itll do, but youd be better of with the good old 30-06.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Americas number one deer rifle the 30-06 has been around for 100 years for a reason. I won't say anymore on the subject
Old 08-21-2006, 06:49 PM

30-06.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Marine corps snipers use .308.... Enough said.[&:]
Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 PM

so today is my 18th bday so i decide to go buy my gun. i went to the local walmart to get the savage model 110 in the .270. i really like the feel of this gun and it comes with a simmons 3-9x40 scope. i also really like accutrigger. that was one of the big factors that led me to this gun. my friend has a savage gun with the accutrigger and he swears by it. this gun cost me about $370 but im happy with it so i guess its been a pretty happy bday so far. thanks for all the input.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice and a nice gun
Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great choice, I like the .270. Now start saving your moneyand go for a quality scope as soon as you can afford one.

Quick Reply: deer gun questoin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.