Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer gun questoin

Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer gun questoin

Hey check out Scheels as well. My brother bought a brand new Ruger 30-06 Bolt Actionwith scope there last year for 350.00 It was tagged at $550.00 They had to sell it as used because the box was damaged. Its a good shooting gun.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 AM

I shoot the Winchester M70 in 7mmwsm. I love the gun. For the money i think that it is an awesome rifle. My buddy has the 270wsm and the ballistics on that rifle are awesome. I would recommend either one of those, or the all faithful 270. Great gun though. If you decide against the winchester, i would recommend staying away from the model 710. I know several people that have had them and they are JUNK. For the money you would probably be happy with the Savage 270. My friend has shot one for years and has had no problems out of it. But remember this ALL is only my opinion. You should go with what you feel most comfortable, because you are the one shooting it.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:08 PM

ok so i went to gander mountain today and asked about a good gun in the $300-$400 range and the guy pretty much laughed in my face but showed me the savage package and the stevens. he told me that the 710 is trash but i kinda already knew that now and he also showed me a tikka which i liked but it was $500. so i think i might go back to walmart and take a look at the winchester m70. i think i might go with the .270 wsm cuz i hear thats a good one and the gun is like $400 with scope. i really think thats the best gun i have seen and im pretty sure thats the one for me. i guess im gonna have to huff a couple more bundels of shingles up some ladders before i can get her but im pretty much set on that one and thanks for all the input.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 AM

I AM A LOYAL 7MM REM MAG USER. SHOOTS FLAT AND FAR!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My vote would be the 30-06 it is really versital and has the best Comobo of bullet weights. Which means down the road you can use it to hunt just about anything you may want from varments to Moose. There are not many guns that can say that.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:03 PM

I am also looking into buying a new deer rifle. Over the past few months I've been doing a lot of research on many different forums on theneton the different types of rifles. It really seems like the Savage line up is getting A LOT of positive reviews.

I've read SEVERAL posts where guys actually admit that their friend's Savage is shooting tighter groups than their Ruger's and A-Bolt's. It takes a lot of balls to actually admit that a cheaper and "less" quality rifle is outshooting yours.

After reading your post and the other guys description of where you hunt, in my opinion, you wouldn't go wrong with anyof the calibers that you listed.

Here in SC, the terrian is about the same. Unless you are hunting a big field or clear cut, most shots are going to be under 100 yards.

In my opinion, in both of our cases, the best round that I can think of would be the .308win. Not taking away from any of the rest. I have a .270win now and love it. If you want my opinion b/t the 30'06 and .270. I would say the .270win or .270wsm hands down. The .308win is extremely accurate and flat shooting. It is one of the most efficent rounds there is. It is also a short action round, so the rifle is lighter and would probaby fit you a lot better.

If coming up with the money for a new gun is a problem. Don't hesitate to check local pawn shops. You would be very surprised at the rifles/guns that people pawn.

Another thing about the Savage line up is that you can chose from A LOT of different calibers. When I finally chose to take the time to buy a new rifle, it is going to be the Savage Weather (something). Its the stainless model. In either .308win (which is what i want, but its hard to find b/c I am a lefty) or a .300wsm. The 300wsm is more than I will ever need here in SC, but I am having a hard time finding the .308win in the lefty model.

Hope that i've helped you.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

that would be the savage weather warrior model #16flss. I have this model in 270wsm,and like it a lot.

12 ringer, the 270wsm rounds are harder to find and more expensive too.I would go with either the .308 or the .270.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Fit your rifle to your shoulder and length of pull....

Fit your rifle's caliber to your intended purpose. In the thick woods, you're no better off with a magnum than you are with a .243... or vice-a-versa... Brush-busting is a myth, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. No bullet will fly straight after hitting anything. Reason 1 why police tactical snipers practice shooting through glass at varying angles for precise shots.

1) 10'll get ya 20 I can out shoot any of these magnum shooters with my trusty old .308Winchester, OUT TO 400 YDS. I don't know of anyone who's shot a whitetail with anything past that far. Thanks to the low-recoil I do not have flinching or target panic that the VAST MAJORITY of magnum shooters have, but are too unwilling to admit for fear of bruising their ego. SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY REGARDLESS OF CALIBER.

2) Whitetail do not wearkevlar, .308 is MORE than enough out to 350+ yds to drop a whitetail in it's tracks. This I KNOW from experience. There is no better caliber for whitetail. It's more versatile than the .30-06 while offering very little difference from the .30-06 in ballistics.

3) Inside 250 yds, you can't beat a .243 win. Just as flat as a magnum without the bruising recoil. Less recoil means better shooting. ESPECIALLY for a young guy like yourself.

Power is nothing without control. A gut shot is a gut shot is a gut shot, the deer will run the samedistance wether it's shot with a .243 or a .338 Winmag. Big boomers will give you nothing more than a ..243 or .308 other than a sore shoulder after days at the range. Which you should be spending regardless of what rifle you end up with.

I'm not bashing Magnums, or their shooters. Just stating various opinions and facts based on experience.

I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where are you guys shopping for ammo when you say the .270 and the .308 are "more versatile than the .30-06"? You can get factory loads for the .30-06 at virtually any sporting goods store in the country in loads from 55 grains to 220. For the .270, you're pretty much stuck with either 130's or 150's and in the .308 you'll probably only find 150's, 180's and maybe 200's. Check the premium boxes, and you might also find some 140's for the .270, and some 160-somethings for the 06 and the .308. But, just based on the variety of factor loads available, the .30-06 is the single most versatile big game rifle in the U.S., bar none. Any one of the three is an outstanding deer rifle, but, to argue about which one is more versatile is silly.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 PM

270 is a poor choice for bear. It doesn't matter if you put it in the boiler room; bears can get into some thick mess if you don't give them abigger dose of firepower.I'd call it the absolute minimum, preferably a 7mm rem. mag or 30 cal such as the -06 or win mag. These guns have the option of very heavy bullets forclose range brushybear hunts, and 'standard' weights for flat shooting deer loads. I won't argue against the 270 on deer, it works very well, but I wouldn't advise it for bear. The savage 111 or stevens 200 are inexpensive rifle choices, however used model 70s, 700s, or 77s shouldn't be overlooked.

Quick Reply: deer gun questoin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.