HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Western Minnesota Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151637-western-minnesota-hunters.html)

Buck_Slayer 08-12-2006 11:35 PM

Western Minnesota Hunters

I was just wondering if there is anybody else on here that is from western Minnesota. North of Moorhead.
I was just curious because I have heard rumors of them opening up rifles all the way to the river (Red River/Border)..if this is so, I don't think I will be going out during shotgun season. There is already enough idiots around and if some of them get rifles in their hands I don't know what would happen.
For everybody that doesn't live around here, the terrain is wide open farm land with alot of open space and very flat terrain. Last year, we had a vehicle that would park wherever we were hunting. I think they were waiting for deer to run out towards them on the road. If something like this were to happen and they started firing off rounds with a rifle I think I would lose it. Not that I wouldn't be heated if they did it with a shotgun, but a rifle travels alot further than a shotgun..I just do not see the need of having rifles in the area that we hunt..it is far too dangerous. Way too many hunters. We alone have at least 10 people in our party every year with several other groups in the same general area.

Sorry for the rant, I just got a little mad when I heard this...

mnsqueeze 08-13-2006 08:46 AM

RE: Western Minnesota Hunters

yes they are goin to open that up to rifle[:o].i dont know how far west they are goin ., i herd to hwy75.,but i could be wrong, and i to will not be over anywhere in that area.,i live just 25 mile east of mhd., and i have hunted north of hwy 10 during the season ., but not this year., i just hope that nobody gets hurt. think about it ., you have a group of 25 hunters all doing a deer drive with slugs.,(and yes it is very open area) ,.., and they have done this for years., and now they will have rifle in hand??ouch!!!! ., im heading south of town

Buck_Slayer 08-13-2006 11:23 AM

Just checked the reg books and it is open all the way from highway 32 to the border..which highway 75 pretty much runs along, just a little further west and it is the river..
This makes me so mad. I am debating on wether I am going to still go out or not. I told my dad if I bought him a muzzleloader would he go with me, but he said no. That is really the only reason I like to hunt during shotgun season, is the fact that I get to get out there with my dad and hunt. He doesnt do waterfowl or bowhunting so that sucks.
What idiot came up with this plan. Nobdoy had a problem bagging deer with a shotgun, why switch to a rifle...I feel somebody made a big mistake

MN_Deerman 08-14-2006 06:59 AM

Maybe they felt there wasn't enough deer being taken with a shotgun, then again they could of easily just extended the season if that were the case. Just remember to wear your orange and be careful.