HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Tree Stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151582-tree-stand.html)

G_O_N 08-12-2006 02:07 PM

Tree Stand

ok sorry for so many questions. so let say you found this spot and you want to setup your tree stand in a tree there lets say its a public place so you cant leave it there or someone will find a gift so your going hunting the next day so how would you do that i mean what time would you go hunting that day so you can setup the tree stand and not get seen by deer??

deerslayer270 08-12-2006 02:12 PM

RE: Tree Stand

4:00AM

RDHunter 08-13-2006 06:05 AM

Get some cable locks and wrap them around your stand and tree then lock it up.
If you know your going out the very next morning you shouldn't have a problem.
If you want to leave your stand there then make sure you lock it up if some a$$ hole wants that stand bad enough he's gonna have to work for it.
You gotta ask yourself what are the chances of someone coming across your stand loction with a pair of bolt cutters.
Once I put my stands out on public land I always use cable locks on them ( the climbing sticks too ) haven't had one stolen yet ( knock on wood ) every time I get out of my stand for the day I'll fold the platform up and lock it in place.

chr103yod 08-13-2006 07:30 PM

This is the only way I hunt. I carry in my climber early enough so that by the time i'm in it and settled it's an hr before daylight. If I'm hunting in the afternoon I try to get in before 2pm. Sometimes I'll set up the night before and lock it to the tree with a huge cable and lock. Another option is to buy a $30 lock on stand from Walmart and lock it to the tree and take out all the steps. If somebody steals it you're only out $30 not $250 for a new climber. I also don't use any tacks to mark my trails only GPS.

G_O_N 08-13-2006 07:39 PM

hahahah ok ill do that lock thing thank you very much

cwillard 08-14-2006 11:50 AM

If I knew i was going the next day i would lock it to the tree with cable locks or a chain. A lot of the time i take my climber and leave it in a spot for the weekend and i lock it up this way.

wis_bow_huntr 08-14-2006 11:58 AM

Check with your local fish and game department and find out if its legal to leave a stand on the property over nite, most states dont have too many problems wiht it, but in Wi you cant leave a stand on public land over nite, also find out if you need to have your stand marked with Name, Address and telephone number as in Ill. and Wi.

baburc0 08-15-2006 01:03 AM

I left my stand and Climbing Stick. Came back next morning and some jerk stole my stand but he did leave the Climbing Stick. BTW both were locked up with cable locks so whoever took it was out shopping.

kevin1 08-15-2006 07:41 AM

I hunt publics a lot , never leave a stand or anything else there if you want to keep it . Invest in a good climber and get in very early .