HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   pigs in deer area (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151503-pigs-deer-area.html)

St.Barnard 08-11-2006 10:05 PM

pigs in deer area

ok, so I got on a new lease last yr, and knew we had alot of pigs, but didn't have any evidence around my pvc feeders. In the last couple of weeks, they seem to be feasting around them. One feeder chewed up so its unuseable, and today found the other one banged up. Pulled card out of my camera today and have pics of them at the buffet table. While I like the idea of being able to hunt them if I want, how do I try to feed the deer without the pigs getting it all. Was considering getting a tripod feeder soon, but don't really want to go to the trouble of having to fence it in. Put out some mineral for the deer today, I wonder if the pigs will eat that too. [&:] Can you put out anything that will make them leave an area? Never heard of anything, but thought I would see what you guys do.

timbercruiser 08-11-2006 10:23 PM

RE: pigs in deer area

Other than fencing with something like the heavy hog panel wire or an electric fence I don't know ofanything. Hogs are probably the worst thing you can have in the woods unless your want to shoot them.

grizzly190 08-12-2006 03:19 PM

If you live in East Texas then you should have no problem finding people that would like to hunt the hogs. I know over here in Ga I hunted my neighbors hogs with the strict rule of let all the deer walk by. andmy friendswere asking me if they could tag along for the hunt. so Id ask around maybe even here on the forum.

Patriot15 08-12-2006 09:29 PM

What kind of feeders do you have? I'm in North Central Texas and I have that same problem. I use tripod feeders and they won't knock them down or haven't yet. I would set a hog trap and kill all of them that you can before deer season. The thing is though that when you have hogs, you can never get rid of all of them. But you will help get rid of the ones that constantly get into your feeders.

rebelmandziukan 08-13-2006 05:05 AM

invite hog hunters from the hogs and exotics forum post it as a free hunt but do it well before deer season!

cardeer 08-13-2006 06:02 AM

Wish I had that problem.

St.Barnard 08-13-2006 02:48 PM

thanks for the replys. I'm on a lease with 10 other guys, and don't think they would want others on the land. One of the guys has trapped about 65 pigs in last yr, but he's not really doing it right now, as it's just to hot. You would have to get to your trap asap after leaving it out overnight, or with this heat the pigs would be dead. Even then, with this heat it's no fun getting it out and cleaning it. I wish there was something that would repel them. Always heard that human hair, obtained from a barber shop and placed out around gardens would repel deer. Wish there was something like that for pigs.

MASTERD 08-14-2006 10:18 AM

Fence your feeders off with hog panels, andmake pen large enough for deer to feel comfortable. When you have killed your deer open the panels up pigs will run at the "dinner" bell. Our pens are 4 panels by 4 panlels. We are in north texas, and pigs have run deer off until we went to pens. Try to build pens on a level surface, and place feeders in the center especially if they are spinners. Labor intensive, but will help you score hopefully.

Jon