Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting? >

is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Old 08-19-2006, 04:26 PM

Default RE: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

chiefks..well said..i couldn't have put it any better myself...being in the woods is almost as satisfying as actually harvesting a nice buck...whether or not i get a deer, my true satisfaction comes from being in the woods..
i've let Plenty of deer pass by, as i counted them as kills..i chose to let them pass..i would never let a nice buck pass, but i've let plenty of young bucks and does pass..i take does to try and keep management in check..i hunt prime MI. farmland, so seeing 25-30 deer per hunt is nothing...
once again chiefks..WELL PUT..
Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 PM

hunting is being ruined? Or is that just what the liberals say? Either way Im having too much fun enjoying my heritage and my life (hunting) to give two spits about what the media says about my way of life. I dont think shooting a big buck is ruining hunting, I think it gives us the strive to go out and hunt even more if you ask me, but its not about the trophies, its about the memories

-Travis-
Old 08-19-2006, 04:50 PM

I haven't had the time to read everyone's response to this thread, so I will just state mine.

I think its yes and no.

Yes- Because it really teaches younger hunters the wrong meaning of hunting. The tv shows show nothing, but monster deer being killed. So when the younger hunters get a decent buck for their area, they just don't seem as excited as we used to when we were that age. "Its not as big as so and so's". Which is really sad b/c hunting isn't all about the kill. Its about so much more. And what gets to me is that a doe even should be looked at as a "trophy".

No- Because it has lead to alot of states adopting a management program b/c they realize the economic benefits of having better deer. It also lets our deer grow closer to their potential instead of being killed at 1.5yrs old. Here in SC, most of our bucks never see their 2nd birthday. Theres also a greater sense of "sefl-pride" in knowing that you have out smarted a mature, dominant buck. It has also lead to more people taking better care of their land. Planting better quality food, which we owe it to the wildlife when we clear cut every mixed forrest in sight and plant back nothing, but pines.

So, it has its positives and negatives. Personally, I think it helps more than hurts.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Antler mania is definitely ruining hunting , just as any other form of greed is .
Without elaboration, this statement is lame. How is it ruining it and why is hunting for a much more elusive animal greedy?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:47 AM

don't think its ruining it,BUT IT SURE IS COSTING HUNTERS ALOT MORE MONEY.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I think this thread is another attempt to drive a wedge between hunters on the contrived horn hunter vs. meat hunter debate. What am I? I'm both and neither. In other words, I refuse to be pigeon-holed. I buy no red meat of any kind. I provide all my own through deer and elk hunting. That makes me a meat hunter right? Well maybe, but on the other hand, I routinely pass up shots at 10-20 smaller bucks each season before I get the big one I want. Does that make me a "horn hunter"? Whatever...

I do believe afair proportion of males let their testosterone rob them of the joy of being in the woods,obsessed as they are on proving their alpha male status in the size of the buck they shoot. But hey, there's bad drivers out there, and bad school teachers, and bad parents. Why focus on the shady side of humanity?

We should all relax and enjoy ourselves out there. Three simple rules:

1) Have fun.
2) Put some meat in the freezer.
3) If you have the time and opportunity, wait for a big buck.

Okay, a fourth:

4) Let the next guy make his own choices, and don't let your manhood be threatened if his choices differ from your own.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know that outwitting a relatively young buck with a really big rack, or even an old buck, is that much of a greater accomplishment than nailing an old doe, or, even any young buck in a heavily hunted area. My Father's biggest buck (13 points) came from me driving it straight at him. The biggest buck ever taken in my area was killed by a guy standing out in the middle of an open field. And I believe that thebiggest rack in Ohio was taken by someone on their first hunt ever. However, any of those three kills would be viewed by many as a greater accomplishment than some guy who works his but offjust to fill his tag with a modest deer. I don't like that, but I guess the big buck craze is good in a lot of ways for hunting. It certainly goes a long way toward people maintaining hunting habitat.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The superiority complex that the QDM'ers have is what ruins hunting IMO.

Don't shoot what makesYOU happy. Shoot what makes them happy.

Remember, let em go so he can grow!.....

I see more and more hunters making excuses for shooting an "immature animal"or a buck that is not a "trophy" Wonder why???

Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 PM

i dont think it is ruining hunting nor is it a new craze. since the beginning of everyones hunting existance we all have dreamed or wanted to bag the big one but if all your doing time over time is waiting on the big boy then you are hurting your hunting areas. in fact the only real time that letting the does go for the big one even works is in the seeking and chasing phases of the rut. when the bucks find that hot doe they will lay low with them and breed them till the doe is unable to breed anymore then they shack up with another hot doe. if you want to help your hunting land you should use all your doe tags and take out those bucks that do not belong either. you have to practice correct management tactics to ensure big deer on your land. i dont know of any state otr county that has the perfect buck to doe ratios. just my 2 cents worth
Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

As a trophy hunter myself, I can only say absalutaly.

Quick Reply: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.