Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting? >

is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

It ain't ruining my hunting! I'm not a head hunter. I grind Antlers into Powder and sell it by the OZ.I have Hog mount, Bear mount and Fish mount, but no Deer mounts.
I'm a meat hunter.
Deer are meat, mount one of them too, and complete your collection!
Greg what in the world is he grinding up the antlers for I wonder? Maybe the Asian's want them ...

dd
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Drop moose antlers fetch about 10-12 bucks a pound here. On a good weekend you can geta couple ofhundred pounds or moreif you are in a good place.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its all good. But, the notion that your season is not successful unless you drop a wallhanger wears on me a bit, and kinda takes the fun out of it.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I took over eight does the year before last, but I am a monster buck hunter first and foremost.

I've seen more monster bucks than most men will see in a life time. Just wait until you see one within spittin' distance and hear it breathin'that attitude will change...
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have recently started letting smaller deer walk just because of the fact that I know I will have the oppourtunity at a deer later in the day or seaseon (as far as shotgun goes) haven't really had any shots on deer with the bow yet. Except one doe, which I didn't pass up.
I would be just as proud of making a clean shot on a smaller buck as I would be if it were a record book buck. It is just a bonus if it is something that would look good on the wall
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll give you an example of what I think is someone consumed with getting the "Big Horns" above common sense and good hunting edicate and even safety.
One of the recent hunting shows on Outdoor Channel had 2 fellows that run the show replaying video clips of past hunts. Lets call the 1 guy Mr. B.H.H. (Big Horn Hunter). The the friend or maybe it's even a relative of Mr. BHH showed the clip of BHH filming for a young lady maybe on her first deer hunt in the wild.
They were overlooking a nice green field where several does were feeding and out of the wooks comes a very nice big buck, big horns. Great! Who wouldn't love it.
BHH is talking the gal through trying to encourage her "take your time.. let the buck come out and turn broadside." Sounds good. The buck cooperated and about 100-150 yds out give the gal a nice clear broadside. She squeezed off a shot with her rifle. And you just see a poof of dust behind the buck. She may have flinched or just compensated aiming a bit high, who knows. But she clearly missed the deer.

The buck looks around trying to figure out were the shoot came from for about 5 seconds then it started running broadside and then away toward the woods. The camera got real shaky. Then as the deer took one last bound and the "white flag" waved good-bye, we heard another shoot. Another complete miss. Wow, too bad. It could happen to anyone, we all thought. Poor gal.
Only in retelling the story afterward did the co-host, "friend" of Mr. BHH the video man in that hunt did we find out. After the lady missed the 1st shot BHH got up, pulled the rifle away from the lady and tried himself to shoot the buck in very marginal shot. He missed of course.
Worst of all the poor women was pretty upset. Doubt she'd want to go deer hunting anytime soon, especially not with BHHBS. WHAT an arrogant AH.
Watch it that your obsession with BH doesn't ruin the hunt for someone else.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Site Buck Guru

There is no way this question should even be asked. As long as you are legally taking deer, it is your personal choice to take what suits you. Peoples choices must be respected.

I've never even thought about this question before. I've never felt that my hunting was being ruined. In fact, I feel just the opposite, My hunting has never been better than by shooting trophy bucks. I also shoot does for the meat.

If Joe X shoots a 1 1/2 yr old 6 pointer, I go "Sweeeeeet! If he shoots a 180 12 pointer, I go "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Because I admire big deer more than little deer. Look what they did to get that big. Amazing.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:38 PM

The way i see it. If you live in an area that has a big population of big racked bucks, Go ahead and take one or 2 per season. I dont really see a lot of huge deer so im always buying doe tags. The area i hunt is way over populated with does, so i figure why waste my time hunting a buck when i rarely see one. This year my family and i have a total of 4 deer tags, Me with a buck and doe, brother and dad with doe tags. Its really not all aobut the kill, ive shot 4 big game animals in 9 years of hunting. Its just anexcuse to get out and enjoy the surroundings. And possibly put some meat in the freezer.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Antler mania is definitely ruining hunting , just as any other form of greed is .
Old 08-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GregH

. Peoples choices must be respected.

I've never even thought about this question before. I've never felt that my hunting was being ruined. In fact, I feel just the opposite, My hunting has never been better than by shooting trophy bucks. I also shoot does for the meat.

If Joe X shoots a 1 1/2 yr old 6 pointer, I go "Sweeeeeet! If he shoots a 180 12 pointer, I go "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Because I admire big deer more than little deer. Look what they did to get that big. Amazing.
Well said GregH.
There aren't too many things or people that I'm in complete Awe of but large bucks completly keep me in awe. All the time...

Quick Reply: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.