Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting? >

is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Well said retrieverman! I have managed a little over 1000 acres the last 7 years. We have an antler restriction of 8 point ear width. Between 6 guys last year we killed 33 deer. We only killed 5 mature bucks and the rest were doe. We had plenty of freezer meat and passed dozens of basket rack deer. This year I have already seen 18 shooter bucks on our property. We keep killing the doe and we see the same #'s the next year. The bucks quality improves every year and we seem to see bigger #'s of them. I am 100% for shooting big deer.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, it seems that many put too much stock in "getting the big horns". If it comes tohigh 5's and "whoa ain't I great because I shot the buck, bull..." whatever with the big horns attitude, then I think they've missed the real reason to hunt.
Sure it feels good to take a nice buck. But don't let it be an obsession that the big horns are what makes it a successful hunt of not.
If I've done my best to use hunting skills, experience and have opportunity to see and take a legal deer, then I'm grateful. And if I've done that and don't get a deer one year, I still give thanks and still take in the wonder of the Creator's wild creation. I didn't create or grow the animals and I find it a privilege to hunt with the possibility of taking one home to share with my family and friends. The whole experience is what I take home with me, not just big horns to hang on my wall.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:55 AM

I TRULY LOVE DEER HUNTING EVEN ON DAYS I DON'T EVEN SEE A DEER. I STILL DREAM OF HARVESTING A MONSTER BUCK! THAT DOESN'T RUIN MY EXPERIENCE IN ANY WAY! ANY TRUE HUNTER SHOULD WELCOME THE OPPORTUNITY OF TRYING TO OUTWIT A MONSTER BUCK!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I think overall the trophy hunting is good for the deer herd, along with taking does for venison. However, I do think that one mistake we make with it is we don't cull older bucks with poorer antlers from the herd. In GA, we have a two buck limit, so I try to use one of them for a cull if I see it. It doesn't always work out, but in 2003 I shot a 7.5 yr old nine-point (scored 113). That's a good 'cull' in my book, but in this case I also had a shoulder mount done.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

It only becomes bad when an individual starts breaking the law to do so. But that is a personal issue not a hunting issue. People break laws to make more money and cheat on taxes but that doesn't ruin the capitalist economy. I think a trend toward passing on younger bucks is a great thing, similar to the catch and release fishing movement.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW.....
This is my take on Trophy Hunting.....I think there is a bit of "TROPHY HUNTER" in anyone
who hunts....
I don't think there is anybody out there who would pass up a Boon and Crocket animal to shoot afemale or asmaller male of any species..
Maybe they'd pass up for something even something bigger but I don't think smaller....

In some regions of British Columbia we don't have a choice......
I think it all depends on where you live and the numbers of animals the overall area can sustain...
In parts of British Columbia we have implemented a 4 point or greater deer season, a six point and greater elk seaon ,and a 2 point and greater moose season...
All cows and does are limited entry..
This gives the younger ones time to grow and gives the huters a better oportunity to harvest a Booner.

Yep I'll admit it.
IM ONE!!!!! AND I"M PRETTY GOOD AT IT TOO..........
I hunt big and I consume what I shoot .......
That shouldn't make it bad..

Old 08-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm new to deer hunting this year and would love to get a large deer just as much as the next guy, but I know I'm going to have to put in my time and eventually learn more than I know now inorder to even get a deer. I'm just excited to get out in the woods and see how different each part of the season is beginning, pre-rut, rut and post-rut. It's def. every guys holy grail to shoot the biggest monster buck in their county or region. My goal is to get a 6 point. I don't know if that is too lofty or not, who knows. I'll be happy with any successful hunt. It seems like every hunting show I see is on some sort of preserve where they are hunting 10+ pointers. Can a 6 or 8 pointer (largest deer in some areas) satisfy someone whoregularlyshoots at 12 or 14 pointers?There's lots of ways to look at the topic I guess. I'm just can't wait to get out there!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

As stated in some of the above posts trophy hunting hasn't hurt the sport. Hunters have a choice of what to kill and it varies by individual. One problem that does come up is the extent that people will go to get their trophy. The quest for a huge set of antlers is ended at many canned hunting facilities. The end result justifies the means to these head hunters. I personally don't consider that hunting however but that is just my opinion. Another issue is cost of hunting. In some of the mid west states it is getting more difficult to find open private land to hunt on. Large groups or sportsmen with money are leasing up all the prime land. That action is contagious and it leads to more land posting and people looking for a profit. In my state it is legal to hunt on any land that isn't posted. Most landowners will still let you hunt posted land based on asking and a handshake. Our hunting isn't of the quality that a trophy hunter would want and our state hasn't been leased out..yet. I suppose times will change and the good old ways will end.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ONLY if you succum to peer preasure ....

dd
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

It ain't ruining my hunting! I'm not a head hunter. I grind Antlers into Powder and sell it by the OZ.I have Hog mount, Bear mount and Fish mount, but no Deer mounts.
I'm a meat hunter.
Deer are meat, mount one of them too, and complete your collection!

Quick Reply: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.