HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Would you buy reproduction antlers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151359-would-you-buy-reproduction-antlers.html)

hoosierhunter_06 08-10-2006 08:33 PM

Would you buy reproduction antlers

Just wanted to know if any of you would buy reproduction antlers. or would you stick with the original rack. remember original rack is if you owned the deer.

Paul L Mohr 08-10-2006 08:51 PM

RE: Would you buy reproduction antlers

I don't understand what you are asking for sure? Reproduction antlers for what purpose? List a few scenarios so I can get an idea what you are asking.

Paul

Arrowmaster 08-10-2006 09:05 PM

Only real ones here. whats the purpose for reproductions unless its for rattling. I'll stick with real ones.

GSPsnFORDs 08-10-2006 10:09 PM

If I had the money and wanted a particular rack for a conversation piece or to just stare at (like the John Breen buck) then yes, I would buy repro's as long as they were good.

This might sound like a plug (hopefully I've been around long enough for it not to sound like one) but a friend of mine has been working with an antler reproducer that puts out top notch stuff. I've handled his repro's and his 'competitors' and his antlers are quality. Most of the repro's are a little rubbery feeling but this guy's repro's feel like solid bone. I've held his originals and repro's side by side and couldn't tell the difference between the two (until I knew what to look for, but even then it was minute)......I mean the coloration and weight were damn near exact matches! I've even rattled with his repro's and they sound authentic. Again, if I was going for authentic looking/feeling antlers I would buy a set. And as far as rattling is going, I honestly can't see buying a set when I have already or can find a good set. But if I had the money and wanted the "real" thing then I would buy a set for a mount. Just my $.02 of rambling. :)

Bill Yox 08-10-2006 10:21 PM

If I wallpaper a room, Id LOVE to design the pattern myself, but Ill buy someone elses print as my wallpaper if I like what it looks like. If I buy art work for my wall, Id LOVE to paint it too. Ill "settle" for a Carl Rungis print, though. So, if I take a nice buck, and want it mounted, Id be proud to say I took that animal myself. If I had the opportunity to purchase a big set of antlers, I sure would, and mount it, too. Not as one of "my" bucks, but as a tribute to what that animal was. Same goes for a nice reproduction. Its a copy of a great set of antlers that Id love to have. I just wouldnt pass it as one of my kills, nor do most others.

For what its worth, the big difference between hard and heavy repros and the flexible ones? Touch, of course! On a mount, it doesnt matter. The softer flexible ones are simply made from a "throw away" or less expensive mold and method, to keep costs down. Theyre made from urethanes, and need to be whited out before coloring, because they otherwise react to UV rays. The heavier resin repros are the cadillacs of the reproduction antlers. Theyre made from silicone molds, as permanent molds. Although they sometimes can be a bit brittle, they usually are more convincing...and also a bit pricey sometimes. Hope this helps!

GSPsnFORDs 08-10-2006 11:13 PM

I think Bill Yox described it a little more eloquently than me! The second paragragh is gives some good details, to some extent.....(I just didn't want let any details leak out). ;)

kevin1 08-11-2006 04:34 AM

I can't vote , you don't have a "Hell no !" category .
Why would anyone be lame enough to buy someone else's trophy , much less a fake representation of it ?

DoctorDeath 08-11-2006 05:49 AM

I have no problem with buying a set .... right after I had shot my Canadian buck someone approched me about reproducing the rack on him but I declined ... kind of wished now I had discussed it more.

dd

cardeer 08-11-2006 07:25 AM

I would have some made of my big ones and sell the rights to them to cabelas display

DoctorDeath 08-11-2006 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

I would have some made of my big ones and sell the rights to them to cabelas display
Car I had thought about approching someone like Cabelas but to be honest I was not sure what type of responce they would give. I know you have seen the buck I took in Canada but I was not sure if it was the kind of buck they would be interested in or not ...I do think its quite unique and has a ton of charactor but just not sure if it has enough for someone to want to buy ..

dd