HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First day of regular season stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/151083-first-day-regular-season-stand.html)

Sport 2 08-09-2006 08:10 AM

First day of regular season stand?

I hunt southwestern NY and Norhwestern PA. What type of area should I be looking for to put my tree stand for the firstday of the regular season. Most of the land I hunt is open to public hunting and there is some prerssure but not a huge amount, and I am looking for the most likely type of spots to bag a good buck. I guess what I am asking is, what are the key things I should look for in stand locations to increase my chances of bagging a big buck in the begining of the pressured season and as the season progresses?

PA Bow/Flinter 08-09-2006 08:43 AM

RE: First day of regular season stand?

If NY is anything like PA...on the first day you want to be near escape routes. Places and trails that lead away from the commotion and towards thick cover. Hunting trails and food sources my work for the first hour or so, but after that the deer are going to be running around like mad, looking for some place to hide. Find the thickest, nastiest stuff around and set up between that and where you think most of the hunting pressure will be.

One of the greatest opening day stands I have is a funnel between an upper wooded lot and an opposing ridge of thick cover. There is a large creek in between the two with 20 foot banks. The deer will go straight over at times, but if they have the option, they go to a low spot where crossing is easier. I have a stand set up at that point. It works out quite nicely.:D

kevin1 08-09-2006 11:02 AM

What he said , pattern the hunters more than the deer . Use a topo map and aerial photos to determine the likely escape routes , along with secluded entry routes for yourself . Most guys don't go in far , be on the other side and they'll drive the game to you .

Sport 2 08-09-2006 11:04 AM

What about setting up in the really think stuff? I know of a few tangles of nasty stuff a couple grapevine points and one being real steep and quite rough. I also know of a couple old clear cuts. And there is hunting pressure on all sides of them and its hard to know which side is the best to set up on.

Might Mite 08-09-2006 03:37 PM

We have thickets on out land tha border SGL. If NY is like PA, at dawn is sounds like WWIII. I set up on the escape routes to our thickets and by 8am I am done. Thick cover, the grapevines you are speaking of should work well.

Bowhunter4life 08-09-2006 03:57 PM

Get to the thickest stuff ya can way before daylight and sit tight. All day if ya have to

BEARBUSTER66 08-09-2006 06:45 PM

I like the thick stuff too, but I like to set up on the edge and the deer stop most of the time before they come out or go in and you get your shot! I also don't hunt the first day of bow season(it's always on a sat.) I normally hunt the first monday and avoid the numb-skulls!!;)

Sport 2 08-10-2006 06:12 AM

Should I look thick for areas as far way from roads as possible? Or In the early gun season am I better off just hunting thick stuff closer to the roads that will have more pressure around them? and move deeper as the season progresses. How big of and areadoes the thick cover need to be?

Sport 2 08-10-2006 12:15 PM

Any suggestions?

Sport 2 08-11-2006 05:55 AM

What do you guys do?