Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.243 win

Old 08-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Default RE: .243 win

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I use too years back and switched to .270 and after a few years switched to 6.5mmSwede.
Why is that?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: B Ott

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I use too years back and switched to .270 and after a few years switched to 6.5mmSwede.
Why is that?

When I started using the .243 years ago, It was mostlyhead shots and neck. I just didn't trust it on lung and heart shots. Than I started to use the .270 on lung and heart shots for many years. I had a friend back then that used a Mauser 6.5mmSwede and he convinced me on the 6.5mm. The 6.5mmSwede has a terrific BC and SD for the caliber that it is.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Is it that the bigger cartridges make you look like a bad shot? or is it that the smaller cartridges make you look like the best shot?
The argument goes either way. I use a 30-06 and I'm very happy with it. I can also shoot moa freehand easy at 50 yards and 1 1/2 moa at 100. this is standing with no lean or anything. So I use a bigger rifle and I'm still a great shot...not bragging just the truth. Some people think because they can kill a deer with a 22mag that theyre the greatest shot in the world. I think it's only fair to dispatch an animal quickly and a feel that a 22 cal cartridge can't do it as efficiently as a 27, 28, 30. Now a 243 is a different story. it's a great deer cartridge, but dont use it because you think it makes you look "cool" or look like "the best in the west", use it because you like it.
These "i can kill a deer with a 22" guys are no better than the " i can handle the biggest rifle around and it dont hurt" guys. It's a dumb argument.

Bottom line is just use what you were brought up to use or what you like to use. You only look cool in your eyes.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if that was directed at my post or not.? My point was that I have a .243 that I love, and have killed numerous big game animals with it. I have killed deer with my .270, .444, 30-06, ect, but my favorite rifle is my .243 and it more than gets the job done.

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

Is it that the bigger cartridges make you look like a bad shot? or is it that the smaller cartridges make you look like the best shot?
The argument goes either way. I use a 30-06 and I'm very happy with it. I can also shoot moa freehand easy at 50 yards and 1 1/2 moa at 100. this is standing with no lean or anything. So I use a bigger rifle and I'm still a great shot...not bragging just the truth. Some people think because they can kill a deer with a 22mag that theyre the greatest shot in the world. I think it's only fair to dispatch an animal quickly and a feel that a 22 cal cartridge can't do it as efficiently as a 27, 28, 30. Now a 243 is a different story. it's a great deer cartridge, but dont use it because you think it makes you look "cool" or look like "the best in the west", use it because you like it.
These "i can kill a deer with a 22" guys are no better than the " i can handle the biggest rifle around and it dont hurt" guys. It's a dumb argument.

Bottom line is just use what you were brought up to use or what you like to use. You only look cool in your eyes.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen more deer buggered up with .300's or 7mm mags than I have .243. Its all shot placement, don't matter what you are shooting. A friend of mine's wife has shot 9cartridges and piled up 9 good bucks in their tracks with a .243. He on the other hand has missed/buggered up several with his .300 short mag.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

Now a 243 is a different story. it's a great deer cartridge, but dont use it because you think it makes you look "cool" or look like "the best in the west", use it because you like it.

It's actually none of those reasons. A .243 is cheap to shoot, fun to shoot at the range (no recoil), can be found in a smaller, more portable rifle than others, and apparently will get the job done as well as most of your "big" calibers.

Looking cool has nothing to do with it...

I was brought up not shooting anything, and am trying to make an educated decision now that I have the opportunity to do so.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:25 AM

There is no doubt a 243 will kill a deer just fine. However, in the slight chance that something goes wrong or an in experienced hunter takes a questionable shot, there may be times when a little more punch may help. The key is good shot placement. And that should be the goal no matter what gun you use.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 PM

Thats all i use and all ill ever use. The .243 is a great gun for deer. Fairly quick, flat shooting and it has no recoil. Awesome gun IMHO. I've shot deer out to 230 yrds with it and have dropped them all. Shot placement is key no matter what caliber. Plus the 243 is light compared to other guns. I love mine
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Sport 2

There is no doubt a 243 will kill a deer just fine. However, in the slight chance that something goes wrong or an in experienced hunter takes a questionable shot, there may be times when a little more punch may help. The key is good shot placement. And that should be the goal no matter what gun you use.

Ditto
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM

I use a 30-06 and I'm very happy with it. I can also shoot moa freehand easy at 50 yards and 1 1/2 moa at 100. this is standing with no lean or anything.
So you can shoot a 1/2" group at 50 yards and 1 1/2" at 150 offhand? That's world class, you should go into competitions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.