HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Do deer have a 6th sense? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/150901-do-deer-have-6th-sense.html)

Windwalker7 08-08-2006 08:24 AM

Do deer have a 6th sense?

I believe they do. I believe many animals do.

I had a dog that seemed to be able to read my mind.

Arrowmaster 08-08-2006 08:36 AM

RE: Do deer have a 6th sense?

Yes I believe they do. I drew on a nice 8 pointer with my bow and he never knew I was even around but right before I released my arrow he Immediately crouched down, like expecting the impact. I never did release the arrow. It struck me strange and thats why I didnt release.

uncle matt 08-08-2006 08:44 AM

No they don't have a sixth sense. They have the same senses as you and I - just much, much finer and sensitive.

Windwalker7 08-08-2006 09:09 AM

I had a dog that always knew when I was leaving.

He loved riding in the car. I'd be sitting on the couch just thinking about going somewhere.I didn't do anything. I didn't rattle keys or put on a jacket. I just be sitting there and the thought would cross my mind of leaving. Instantly my dog, Nakota, would jump up and get in my lap, staring in my eyes. He would whine a little bit, jump down, run around wagging his tail and then back up in my lap starringin my eyes about 10 inches away.

I never moved a muscle the entire time. He did this many, many times.

When I'd leave him at my father's house to watch him, he always knew when I was coming back to get him. My dad said he always knew when I was coming back by watching Nakota's reactions.

He'd get up and go to the door. Then go and look out the window with his ears perked up. Then back to the door and whine a bit. My dad said, usually within 15 minutes I'd be there.

I never could figure out how he knew stuff like that.

GregH 08-08-2006 11:35 AM

Of course they do. That's what I always say when I screw up and they get away. It must have been their sixth sense!

Sport 2 08-08-2006 12:34 PM

I'm not sure. But sometimes it sure seems as though they do. Its probably something like that feeling we all get at some point, where you feel like your being watched. But for Deer, they are always in an environment that requires them to act on what they feel, or they will become dinner.

Dirt2 08-08-2006 12:45 PM

I don't believe that they do. Obviously their senses are more attuned than ours, we don't have to walk around on a daily basis worrying about a cougar jumping down our neck.

I think what is called "sixth sense" is really sounds, smells, and sights that somehow bypass our conscious processing, but still register somewhere in the back of our brains.

F'rinstance, I woke up bolt out of bed on Sep. 11th just knowing that something bad had happened. I don't usually turn on my radio first thing, but that day I did. Of course, the airways were full of news of the developing horror. I could claim some psychic sixth sense out of that, but I think it's probably more mundane than that. I work a late shift so I'm in bed until 11 am or so. I think that even though I was asleep I probably heard someone talking outside my apartment about it.

Jimmy S 08-08-2006 12:50 PM

There's not doubt in my mind that they do not! I think this is a case of giving the deer more credit than they already deserves...which is a whoooole bunch!

And why?...Because they are full time deer and we are part time hunters.

tschammel 08-08-2006 01:14 PM

I see dead people...........

Anthony T. 08-08-2006 07:39 PM

Nah, it's just that the 5 they have are to friggen awesome. Combined together makes it seem like they have 6 or 7! Thats why theyre so fun to chase!:D