Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumbest thing?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: Dumbest thing?

I was hunting on a special draw refuge hunt last year. I got out of the truck and walked into the woods. When I climbed my tree I noticed some cars going by pretty close. I thought maybe I had walked through to the other side. When the sun came p i could see my truck and realized I had just walked in a circle in the dark. I did end up shooting a doe that day at least.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing really big. But tons of times I leave stuff up in the stand. If im bowhunting, ill leave my quiver up in the stand. When gun hunting, it will be my gloves, stocking cap, maybe an extra layer I took off. I usually get like 100 yards away and am like, "Something was different about getting down in the stand today........DANGIT!!" Then I start my trek back.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

I went bowhunting one morning.About 11 im ready to go so i let my bow down with my 25 foot rope climb down take the first few tree steps out and then turn and start walking.About 25 foot from my tree "BAM" my bow goes flying back i forgot to take the Rope off my Bow!Now thats Dumb
Old 08-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Well I have one for you. About10-15 years ago, when I first started hunting, something happened that will stay with me until I die. We got to the wood before sunup and sat until about 11 am. we all met at the truck to go for lunch. On our way to the dinner this poo smell kept coming up. Not one of the guys would admit to passing wind. This went on until we go there and we found the Smell. One of us (NOT ME!!) was wearing a set of camo overalls with a hood. No problem right. Well while out in the woodsnature apparently called on him and plop right in his hood!! He will never live that down. Even after we are all long dead and buried that story will live on.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:00 PM

I've gotten lost in a place I've hunted for 5 years in a row.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 PM

One day a few years ago I shot an 8 pt. When I walked up to it, I put my rifle over my shoulder and picked up his head without making sure he was finished. Imagine my surprise when he stood up, my left hand on his rack and my rifle on my right shoulder. Glad he was badly hurt!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Many years ago my friend and I decided to introduce another friend to bow hunting. This guy had always been a mommas boy and had never hunted alone. He bought a high end bow and all the accesories and started hunting with us.

One day we took him out and sat him on the edge of a field and we walked on down along the edge of the field. After not seeing anything we headed on back. Hesaw us coming and was standing in the open with his hans in his pocket watching us . The thing is there was a doe and a small buck about thirty yards on down from him watching us also, and hi didnt see them.

We froze and tried to get him to look that direction but he just couldnt figure out what we were doing. He finally looked that way and saw the deer. He raised his bow and came to full draw but didnt fire. Instead he tried sneaking up on them-at full draw!

They were still totally unaware of him and he managed to get within twenty yards of them-where hefellin a ditch and spooked them!

I should mention that he was the first of us to kill a buck. With his mom sitting on a log before school one morning!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:38 AM

Blue Ranger story hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 AM

ok in 1985 bud and i was goin bow hunting., my wife 6 mo. pregnent wanted to come sit with me .,i had just had a knee blow out so i was moving real slow ., the hunt was done for the night and we headed back to the truck ., as my wife and i are walking down this trail ., i look out into the field(now almost dark out) and i see this bull moose come running right at us!! i tell my wife here he come ., RUN .,she of course she is out running me cause of my knee., the moose is getting closer and i tell her to go to the farmer in the field and jump on his tractor(he was out chisselplowing) as she stated to get close to the tractor i turn to have one last look before this bull runs me over ,.and ,.here it is my buddy!!! he was running across the plowed field with his bow over his head.,looked just like a moose icomming ., i said what to #@$& are you doing ., he said running why?? i had to go home and clean my shorts out after that one., TRUE STORIE., we still laugh about that one.,
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted hard the first season with my new mathews. The last day of the season I hiked back to my truck and crouched down to lower my stand and my day pack from my back. I put my bow on the ground and began to load everything into the back of the truck. I also got undressed and packed my hunting clothes and boots away. Then I jumped in the truck and ran over my new bow. I swear that crunch was the absolute worst sound I have ever heard in my life. The bow turned out to be fine but the arrows, quiver and sight were destroyed. Thank got it was the last day.