Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Funnels

Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Funnels

I was hoping you guys could give me your opinions / suggestions concerning funnels.Do terrain or cover funnels have more effect on a whitetails movement? Especiallybig bucks. And what would comprize an ideal funnel? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Funnels

Fence rows work as excellent funnels. In the past I have gone in a cut a out a small area of an abandoned fence. The deer will walk an extra 30-40 yards just to cut through that area of the fence rather than Jumping or crawling through it elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

About equal since both provide travel cover , vegetative cover may have a slight advantage if it also provides secure bedding , water , or browse .
Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 AM

I understand that deer would rather travel through the woods at a pinch point between a couple fields. But what about when your hunting in the middle of the woods. Have you guys seen more deer traveling up and down terrain funnels or sneaking through a thicker strip of cover within the woods?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Terrrain , deer always take the path of least resistance unless fleeing or bedding . If a nice clear gully takes them downhill right next to thick cover they'll choose the gully .
Old 08-08-2006, 07:51 AM

Sorry for all the beginner questions.Do you find that deer (especailly big bucks) travel in the bottom, on the side, or along the top edge of ravines or gullies less than 150 yrds wide?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am no expert by any means but I have been deer hunting almost 40 years now so I have a few suggestions for you that may help take them for what their worth the seem to work for me.
1. You can make your own funnels by cutting brush and blocking off deer trails causing them to use another way. I did this in CT. and blocked 6 deer trails in one area at different points and it worked great.
2. Cut paths in the thick areas it may take a while but the deer will start using them as they are as lazy as we are and seem to always take the path of least ristance.
3. Follow streams for some reason deer seem to all cross a streamat the same place. I don't know why. I like to use this method on a new area I have never hunted or hunted very little.
4. Scout and I mean scout not just little walks in the woods look at everything put on your rubber boots and get in the muck and water, get into those thick areas. Spend as much time as you can in your hunting area learn it like your own home. With this knowledge you will know why,where and when you should be someplace over another.
Just a few points I always use I hope one or all help you. Good Luck this season. Mike
Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM

How big of an area does a funnel affect? How far will a funnel such as a old fence redirect deer? What about a larger funnel such as a ravine or saddle 100 yrds wide? How would that affect thier movement?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

I would opt for a cover funnel over a terrain funnel, although either has merit in most cases.

One key, and I'm always harping on it on this space, is that funnels will work better in some parts of the country than in others. Sort of by definition most deer hunters live and hunt in areas where man has seriously altered the cover situation, and so on sites like this people sort of accept the funnel concept without a twitch. That's great if you live in the middle of Iowa, because any six-year-old can pick a deer funnel in that kind of country. But if you happen to live in true big woods country like that across the northern tier of the country, you may be disappointed with your first forays into "funnelology".

Funnels really funnel if all of the below points apply:

1) Good hiding cover exists on a distinct minority of the total land form,
2) Highly desirable cropland exists in the vicinity to really pull the deer in,
3) High deer densities exist.

If two out of three apply to your area that's still pretty good. But if you hunt an area with no crops, forest literally everywhere, and moderate deer densities, you're going to have your work cut out for you finding useful funnels. In these situations, realize what you're up against, and dig in and start learning your local deer herd. Think double funnels, spots that form a funnel for two independent reasons. Examples are a cover funnel that occurs in a saddle, or afenceline along the face of a sheer bluff, or an inside corner in a clearcut butting up to a creek bottom.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM

I appreciate all your guys help. I hunt northwestern PA and south western NY. The areas I hunt have small farms on most of the roads. They grow corn or grain most of the time. But these areas also have a large about of woods as well. And typical of the area most areas are pretty thick. They are a mix of ridges, saddles, benches, large ravines, round hills, and swamps mixed with all types of cover containing hardwoods, old clear cuts, grapevine and briar tangles and anythig in between. With all the available cover, food and water I have a hard time deciding where is best to hunt. And all these areas are pretty much open to public hunting.

Quick Reply: Funnels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.