Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Camp Security

Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Camp Security

A buddy of mine has a deer camp that get vandalized the other day. A group of a**holes busted his gate, stole a bunch of his racks he had screwed to his porch walls and left beer cans all over the place. Why are people pricks [:@]

Anybody got any good camp security ideas they can pass along? Thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Camp Security

put some land mines around the property
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM

put up fake cameras
Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Other than a couple of fake cameras and a couple of real ones there isn't a whole lot you can do except dang near live there. If you put up a big pipe gate, extra heavy hinges, biggest case hardened chain you can get and the biggest extra hard lock you can get, the idiots might break off a toothpick in the lock and then you can't get in.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Spike

I saw thison a hunting show just the other day. They were talking about how to protect you hunting property. They put up some stealth cams in a couple hidden areas around the property that way they could at least get a photo of the car or the persons that were coming on to the property, They also talked about beefing up the locks and gates. Other than that what do you do???? what can you do???
Old 08-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used to goto my buddies camp ALOT....his dad (owner) used to go up alot but got to busy and lost intrest..but my dad me and my buddy went up atleast once a month if not every weekend. always something new. people shot the crap out of an old RV that broke down up there that noone got around to fixing, atvs ALL over the land...took ALL the fish out of a 1/2 acre pond..they had a home security system linked to the state police with a guys number that lived up there for contact first. it worked. just too far from state police to get anything done about it when they are on atvs. they never got in when we went up there alot. footprints on the door...tried busting the locks etc....but never got in..we stopped going up and i think they used their truck to break down the door(its ground level) and all they did was take OLD nasty bottles of booze....dang kids.....but its tough...could been an awesome deer hunting land and the pond was awesome fishing till everyone found out about it. they backed their trucks down to the pond and took all the bluegills and giant bass they could catch. atvs all over the land....hunting season hunters were ALL over the 55acres......the owner didnt want to post it because when you post your land up there and you dont live there your asking for more trouble then you already got....alot of camps seem to "burn down" when noone is around.....or REALLY vandilized. terrible....but what can you do when noones there to watch it?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy lots of insurance.
The advent of ATV use seemed to cause an escalation in this kind of thing. Guys could ride far away to a camp, break in and get what they want and then be gone, miles away, in a flash.
Not meaning ATV users are bad, mind you.
An ATV can make a bad guy alot bolder, that's all.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

spike strips under the gate. just dont forget to move them before you drive in. Dan
Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try to make the camp appear (look & sound) to be occupied - lights/radio on timers - ON at night time, leave a junk car in the parking area. Timers are only a few bucks at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Spikes on / logs over the ATV trails, hide valuables in a secret area (trap door in the floor under carpeting or in the drop-ceiling), fake cameras, fake security sign, motion lights, good insurance.

If it snows, have one of the neighbors drive up to the parking area, just to leave a fresh set of tire tracks, so it looks like somebody has been there recently and may be coming back.

It's the little things that can deter trespassers/vandals from striking. Generally, these are cowardly individuals who shy away from confrontation. If there's even the slightest chance that they'll get nabbed, they'll find another target.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 PM

had the same thing happen to me being in the military helps to spark ideas about what to do, but anyway over all the best was to catch them and get you stuff back is to set deer cams near the easiest way to get up to the camp and also hidden inside the camp it cost a little bit but get the cams that have no flash they use infered light so it doesnt disterb any thing all the cams you put out use cabel locks and insure them you get them i did, they both got put in jail for like 4 different offences they wont do that again, hope it helped., roll on

Quick Reply: Camp Security

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.