HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Pelvic Bone??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/150310-pelvic-bone.html)

sandilands 08-03-2006 12:38 PM

Pelvic Bone???

Just wondering how many guys split the pelvic bone B4 they take out the anus?
I started off not splitting the bone and trying to work my blade aroud to pull it through the inside. Then a good friend showed me how to split the pelvic bone and thats what I have done since.

jamiebuck 08-03-2006 01:23 PM

RE: Pelvic Bone???

Ialways use a little gerber saw,but i have split it with a knife,but it somtimes hard to do dont want to slip

MikeVT 08-03-2006 01:46 PM

Most of the time I usually don't split the bone. I usually leave that stuff in until I get back to camp where I have access to running water. Cut around the anus from inside the cavity and outside under the tail. You can guide the knife with your fingers. Once you cut the connective tissue, you can pull the bladder and canal right out. Knock on wood, I have yet to puncture the bladder using this method.

timbercruiser 08-03-2006 05:26 PM

I rarely split the pelvis, just cut around and pull it out from the inside.

PA_BOW_HUNTER 08-03-2006 05:36 PM

I ALWAYS split it!!!

NHmtpond 08-03-2006 07:14 PM

I have never split it, I always cut around it then pull it out, if you cant pull it out you can push it out with a stick. I hate dragging them out with the legs flopping around.

nchawkeye 08-03-2006 07:19 PM

I usually bone mine out when I clean. If someone wants a whole ham I cut down to where the leg and hip bonemeet and pop out the ball and socket joint.

buckmastr229 08-03-2006 07:38 PM

I have a little axe, i take that and break the bone makes it alot easier.

TrophyTracker 08-03-2006 08:30 PM

I never split the pelvic bone in thefield I always just cut around. I try to minimize how much of the animal I open up before he is hangin in the garageto keep any unwanted dirt dust and stuffout of the animal when its beingdragged and transported

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-03-2006 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: TrophyTracker

I never split the pelvic bone in thefield I always just cut around. I try to minimize how much of the animal I open up before he is hangin in the garageto keep any unwanted dirt dust and stuffout of the animal when its beingdragged and transported
Exactly...keeps dirt and debri from contaminating the meat...I never split the pelvic any more, ring the anus and pull it out, makes for better dragging etc...I worry about splitting it once it's hung.