Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pelvic Bone???

Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pelvic Bone???

I never split it in the field either. I take a few rubber bands and throw them in my coat pocket they come in handy for all kinds of things while hunting. One of the things I do with them is after cutting around the annis and makeing sure its free I pull it out wrap a rubber band around and when I'm ready to pull the rest of the guts out it comes out nicely and with no spillage.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always split it. I love the way it sounds when you break it
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 PM

Could never figure out why people do it but to each his own! If you feild dress a deer properly you have to cut completely cut around the Anus or as one said "ring it" to get ALL of the anus and guts out. I used to laugh when I would go to the butcher and the first thing he would ask is " are you one of those a**holes that dont know how to cut out an a**hole but likes to make sharp bones on a split pelvic" If you still had the anus in he would not take your deer. So if you have to ring it to to actually get the "hole" out you are only five seconds and one guided slice away from pulling the butt hole entact from the inside and not getting any poo on you or the deer! I laugh at my one buddy who in the last four or five years I have watched break three good knives and cut his hand badly on them sharp pelvic bones as he is trying to fish out the poo pipe!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I always do, but then again I've cut my hands on the bones before too. Maybe I'll try the "ring" it method this year.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Spike

I started out using a knife as some have stated, then went to a small hatchet, but it left too many sharpe pieces to cut the wrong things and my hands. I then started using bull nose loppers. Smooth even effortless cuts of the pelvis. Also while field dressing you may want to elevate the rear portion slightly above the head so all the mess doesn't flow over the hams. Let it flow out the front. Good luck.
Jim
Old 08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a butcher friend you always told me to make the smallest cuts possible when field dressing deer. The more meat you expose to the air, the more meat that can spoil. We try to make a 12" gut cut, and then do the butthole from the back with a sharp pocket knife !!
Most of the time, we gut our deer with only a pocket knife, you don't need a bowie knife to do it !!!