HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Remington recoil managed loads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/150051-remington-recoil-managed-loads.html)

chuckclear2000 08-01-2006 05:03 PM

Remington recoil managed loads

I have been looking for a rifle for my little sister and really have been scratching my head at some of the prices I've encountered on youth guns. So, my brother and I thought it would be worth while to buy a sims labratories recoil pad and try the 125 grain reduced recoil loads on our backup 30-06. I must congratulate Remington on a fine product. First off, it kicked less than a .243, second she shot a 3" group at 75 yards.The ballistics chart on the box says thatregular ammo and the reduced recoil loads are evenout to 150 yards. After 150 the reduced recoilloads drop more than regular loads. 150 yards is a pretty far shot in our thick woods. I'm almost thinking that unless your youngster is extremely small, youth guns are a thing of the past! Just thought I'd share my field report in case any of you are looking for something for the youngsters.

Corvus 08-02-2006 07:58 AM

RE: Remington recoil managed loads

I tried them out on my Rem. 742 .308 last week and was very impressed with them. After shooting my brother-in-law's Rem. 700 30/06, I immediately recommended that he switch to them too!

I think my new Rem 750 .35 Whelen gave my shoulder the biggest beating, though. I can just imagine how hard it would kick from a bolt-action!

KonaBoy 08-02-2006 08:07 AM

Yeah, I've heard that those do kick a lot less and are great for younger or recoil-sensitive people.

DannyD 08-02-2006 09:17 AM

Bought them for my daughter and the 270. along with a limbaver recoil pad the gun has a very mild kick. I'd agree that it is similar to the 243 I have

Davoh 08-02-2006 02:11 PM

So called "youth guns" have more to do with fit and weight than caliber. I've seen "youth guns" in .30-06, .308, and even a 7mm mag.

chuckclear2000 08-02-2006 04:31 PM

Like I said in the post Davoh, Unless your kid is extremely small then try the reduced recoil opposed to shelling out at least 400$ for a youth gun. So in turn, I realize that so called youth guns have to do with fit. I guess what I'm saying is : Your telling me something I already know and already posted!

Tigerfan 08-02-2006 06:59 PM

I'm almost thinking that unless your youngster is extremely small, youth guns are a thing of the past!
With this statement it sounds like you are saying that youth guns are only for youths. I bought a remington SS Model Seven .260 for my wife because she is so small. We tried Ruger, Browning, and Remington and the Remington fit better. I love it and hunt with it often, I am going to buy a .300 in the same model.

chuckclear2000 08-02-2006 09:31 PM

Tigerfan, so I am saying that?!? Big deal, I was merely trying to share my field report. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Besides, your wife wears a skirt, that doesn't mean you have to too. If you want to shoot a youth model, shoot a youth model, but you have to be in the minority of adults other than women who shoot youth models. Hey whatever works for you. Anyway, what did your reply have to do with the post? Oh yeah, nada. Do me a favor, if I post a question about leupold or nikon PLEASE do not tell me about zeiss!! Stick to the post!

Anthony T. 08-02-2006 09:53 PM

Lil hostility! :DI like the reduced recoil loads. Great for kids. Thats the way to go. A youth gun, by the way, is a great gun to tote in the woods. Nothing wrong with using a youth rifle. (i dont have one) I's say you'd be smart to use one, theyre awful light, which makes for a better day in the woods.

Tigerfan 08-02-2006 10:00 PM

Hold on there just a minute. If you want to get testy we can do just that. You made a statement about youth model guns, and buying a gun for your sister but, instead you bought a certain type of bullet instead of "shelling out at least $400 for a gun. I mearly stated that the statement you made "I'm almost thinking that unless your youngster is extremely small, youth guns are a thing of the past!" made it sound like you were saying that youth guns were only for youths. No where in your origional post did you say anything about lenght, weight, or fit when it came to youth model guns, only that you did not have to buy a new gun to get less recoil. I tell you what , the next time you wanna post a field report, have a clue about what you are talking about and do not act like a jackass when someone posts a reply to it and they don't act like you hung the moon. BTW just because I like using a youth model gun every once in a while when I climb or use a Loc-on doesn't mean that I should wear a skirt. Of course you are probly one of those types that thinks you have to use a hand grenade to kill an ant. Grow up.