Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut Hook Knives

Old 08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gut Hook Knives

I've used them a couple times when I thought I wanted one. I don't want one any more.

They are a little bit better on one single 60 second part of a 10 minute, maximum, job. They make the knife so you can't just wipe it off on the ground and get it pretty clean. It always get's gunk back in the sheath and then the job of cleaning it up back at home just keeps getting worse as now the knife is worse and you have a LOT worse mess in the knife sheath unless you are going to carry an unsheathed knife home through the woods.

Not worth it to me. Just give me a good knife. A good sharp knife, no gimmicks.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Hearing that ^, I think I'll stay away from one
Old 08-02-2006, 11:40 PM

i'm a fan of the gut hook, makes unzipping the deer easier especially when field dressing alone and no one to up the deer flat on its back for you without one half turning to the side. but thats just my 2 cents
Old 08-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

i dont like them. I use the remington deer skinner. Its a fixed blade knife, the end is kinda rounded, no point. Works great for skinning and opening them up.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I got one for Christmas last year and I'm looking forward to trying it out in 2 months!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have done it both ways alot of times. just bought a gerber gator last season with the gut hook and love it. its not a whole lot quicker but your chanses of sliceing the @#!%& bag and spraying yourself with @#*^^ are alot slimmer.
Dan
Old 08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have several, but I don't like them. It seems like my gut hooks (I have several of these) don't always work well for the intended purpose (admittedly, operator error may be involved). Furthermore, for things other than slitting open the gut or cutting around skin when skinning the gut hooks just get in the way. For example, when reaming out the anus that gut hook is a little unwieldy in my opinion. I'm just as happy using a Buck 110 as the various gut hook equiped hunting knives I have. They seem an unnecessary elaboration which sometimes are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done em both ways. The gut hook is nice and comes in handy. Helps save a mess. they are a bear to resharpen though.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had 3 knives for field dressing. My first was a remington w/gut hook, used it for one season and then bought a buck110. My other knife is a schrade sharpfinger. I personally didn't like the gut-hook and gave it to my wife for her first deer season, then I bought her a buck 110 B4 she could use it.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and like it,but I use different knives to finish the job.

Quick Reply: Gut Hook Knives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.