Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Can't express the importance enough >

Can't express the importance enough

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can't express the importance enough

Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Can't express the importance enough

where did that happen at and when.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM

I am willing to bet that the majority of the hunters on here that wear safety belts do not wear them while they are going up and down the tree. I know it seems like a hassle to move the belt up or down and then move the stand and repeat the process until you are up in the tree or on the ground. Climbing is when most of the accidents happen. It may seem like a pain to do this, but you will not regret it.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 PM

There was a guy during gun season that fell out of his stand and had to undergo alot of surgerys. He fell out of his stand which was 40ft in a tree!!!!! I didnt wear one at first but started to when i almost had a little ride of my own.
IM GLAD TO HEAR YOUR OK!!!!!! GOOD LUCK
Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Had the unfortunate experience of falling not once but twice! 1st time I hugged the tree but crashed and burned all the way down. Dislocated my AC joint in the shoulder and fractured the humeral head of my arm, not to mention the contusions, lacerations and splinters.......but I was lucky that time. The 2nd was a full fledged fall from a permanent stand after one of the side "joists" sheared off as I was reaching for the uphaul rope to get my bow. I must have grabbed at the board because I was spun and fell in a supine (horizontal) position. I caught the root ball at the base of the tree with my ribcage on my left side and shattered 4 of them, puncturing my lung in the process. The milk crate I sit on fell 4 seconds later, blasted me in the back of the head and smashed my face into the dirt adding insult to injury. I crawled out of the woods over the next 2 hours and managed to get myself to the hospital where they proceeded to CUT all my hunting clothes off because I could not bear the pain in taking my own clothes off. Jeez, I could hardly breate spittin blood and all. Sometimes Ihunt with a climbing stand -be it rarely and trust me, fully harnessed, but I am scared to death the entire time I'm up there.
Heed the advice and hunt safe people........
Old 02-18-2007, 07:54 PM

I'm with you guys everyone should wear one. We spend alot of money on bows,arrows,sights,stands and everything else. And skimp on the important things like a fall restraint. The new vest are great and every one should have one. Just my .o2 cents.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Glad your ok! I wear a hunter's safety system and love it. They really have a great product and it's comfertable to wear. I don't go in the stand without it.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Pat,
That's appropriate advice considering I fell out of a tree for the first time ever hunting with Dave Wilson out in Franklin the first weekend of December. Climbing up the sticks, don't know why but I stepped on a tree limb to get into the stand instead of continuing up the sticks. Crack, bam, I fell about 10-12 feet straight down and landed on my hip. Good thing it was about 5 degrees outside and I was wearing all my insulated clothes and kindof hit a cedar tree on the way down that helped break my fall.I walked away sore but no broken bones and still alive. Scared the heck out of all of us.
Looking forward to seeing you in Iowa December 28th!
I am new to the forum, Dave gave me the webpage.
Marty
Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Similar story, I have a second cousin who fell out of his tree stand last year. He landed on his head and got pretty banged up, but was able to walk to a house and knock on the door before he passed out. He almost bled to death, had a severe concussion, and I'm pretty sure he's blind in one eye now.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE IN WEARING A HARNESS, I'VE LOST A FRIEND / CO-WORKER FROM A FALL. THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED 4 1/2 YEARS AGO. THE FIRST DAY OF ARCHERY SEASON 10/05/02.

NOW WE SPONSER A GUN RAFFLE FOR HIS KIDS COLLEGE EDUCATION THE END OF APRIL OR BEGINNING OF MAY (5/5/07)

CHRIS