Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Can't express the importance enough >

Can't express the importance enough

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can't express the importance enough

Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Default RE: Can't express the importance enough

I have been hunting for the past ten years never even thought a bout a harness. I hunted out of climbers and ladder stands. But I went out this week and purchased one made by Hunter Safety Systems. I love my family and friends too much. I am sure it will be more comfortable than a wheelchair!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Spike

There was a piece in the local paper about a tree stand accident around here a few years ago. Hunter was about 15' up a tree with a climber. The part of climber he was holding with his hands broke off and he fell backwards. Problem was the part that his feet were stirruped onto was still attached to the tree just fine. He hung there upside down by his feet, if memory serves broken bones and brain damage or something equally severe, until something like midnight before he was found. Climbing trees really is dangerous, be carefull, especially if you hunt alone.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Spike

I've been wearing a harness since I first started hunting out of tree stands (which hasn't been long). I feel wierd if I don't have it onbut I haven't had a close call yet (knock on wood). I have friends who will not wear one. These are the same friends that will hunt alone, don't wear their seatbelts because they think they do more harm than good and think the bigger the SUV, the safer it is...........when statistically they are not. Itry not to think about the day that I would have to talk to their families if something badhappens, especially if it's a car accident I walk away from and they don't.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 AM

rule of my truck... your in it... wear it or your walkin! I've seen some videos of test roles where dummies where thrown around a cab like a tissue wad! remember guys... your body IS a deadly projectile when launched.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:37 PM

"Safety first!" -Grandma
Old 01-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Spike

Luckily you had your vest on. I know a guy who will never walk again, because he was to much of a man to wear a safety vest. Don't be that guy. It takes a real man to realize that you aren't invincible. I always try remember whenever I go out into the woods that I would really like to see my family again.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 AM

I fell out of a tree once my first year hunting, I was only about 6-7 feet up, just standing on a limb and a good gust of wind combined with alittle ice/snow knocked me right out of the tree. Scared me to death and I wouldn't hunt in a tree for the next few years. Now that I use tree STANDS, lol, I use a harness everytime.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have yet to experience a fall from a stand, but have a couple of close friends that have.

My (brother), not blood but many years of kindship, fell from his stand wearing a safety belt; while hanging upside-down, he felt the blood pooling in his skull and found the presence to grab something and pull himself into an upright position long enough to get back into his stand. The belt slipped to his waist while he was hanging upside-down. From then on, neither of us uses a strap but now prefer a full body harness.

Another survived over three hours with his leg pinned between limbs that prevented him falling to the ground. He did not lose his leg or his life, but the two close calls stated above reinforce my belief that you never enter a tree stand without a safety harness.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I ALWAYS wear one and make a point to attach it to the tree after first setting foot onto my climber. However, last week I got 25 feet in the air and realized that although I had it on, I had forgottn to teather myself to the tree. I'm very, very comfortable in my climber but suddenly got really nervous until I got strapped in. Didn't like that feeling one bit.
Makes me think back to the days before we really knew much about safety systems and climbed trees all day long without really thinking about it. My how things have changed.
I personally don't know anyone who has fallen yet...and hope I never do.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM

safety gear should be #1 when hunting. know a person who is wheel chair bound because he fell out of tree in nj wooden stand.

Quick Reply: Can't express the importance enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.