Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i think i blew it

Old 11-04-2002, 08:21 PM

Default i think i blew it

hey guys ive got a question for ya i had a meeting with a NICE
buck saturday morn. i had my stand in a ravine next to a small creek
i was up about 12ft. up over the top of the ravine comes a nice 10-12 pt. buck he stops and looks right at me .we were eye to eye at about 10yds. i couldnt get a shot at him and he knew somthing wasent right and turned and ran he didnt snort so i know he never winded me [the wind was in my face ] do you guys think he will leave the area or just forget the encounter? ive killed lots of deer but never had a
close encounter like this before [i usually get to kill the deer at that range!] thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: i think i blew it

He shouldn't leave, but he may look up at you the next time and before the close distance. Where I bear hunt the ones that visit lots always look up at me and then come in. Can you go higher or move back a bit? just so it don't happen again or if looks he no see.

Old 11-05-2002, 05:09 AM

yea i can move im going to move up over the ridge he came over
the tree wasent a very good one anyway but man what a show that was!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, I would just move to another tree in the area but stay in the same vacinity. I think your right, if he did not snort or stomp at you, he was more than likely just figuring something was not right, but he was not sure so he just took off. I bet he will back. I have had a simular situation with a small buck two years ago. He actually came back that same night from when I seen him in the morning of that day. This buck did the same thing as yours did. When he came back in to the area that night where I was in the morning but on the ground away from my stand, he moved about 5 inches every five minutes but he did not come close enough for me to shoot. I actually left my stand, and hunted from the ground. He did not pick up my scent, just found something else curious and did not wander in my direction. I was pissed!

Starrman

Ron Starr