Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Odd-ball rack on the property

Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Odd-ball rack on the property

My brother and I were out on one of the peices near his house this weekend and we spoted an odd-ball rack buck. His left was a good sized 4 points. Nice tines and a decent spread. Spread wider than his ear to the side and probably ranging from 4'"to 6" for the secondary tines. Buton the right he only had a Y, maybe 3/4 the size of the left overall and the tine was maybe 3". We were wondering to ourselvesif it was a injury or maybe just a fluke in the growth. Still, considering his size I may just have to see about tracking him down this fall and trying for a conversation piece rack for my wall.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Odd-ball rack on the property

two years ago i shot a deer (which i never found) that had 4 good points on his right side and then just 2 on his left
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM

I've had a few that weren't very symetrical on the rack but on this one, if you only saw 1 side or the other you would think it was 2 different buck going by the rack, the difference was that big. That right side looked like half the mass of the left with the smaller spread and height and the fewer points. ( thing must walk in circles with the weight difference )
Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

My brother come upon a fresh road-killed buck that weighed about 190 lbs and on the left side had a 5-3/4" brow tine, a G-2 that was 9-1/2" and 3 more points that were pretty darn impressive. His mass was equally impressive, I couldn't get my hand around the base. As far as spread he was somewhere around 3" past his ear, (it was kinda hard to tell that while he was dead) but I measured from the center point of his head to the widest part of his good side and I came up with 9-3/4" so I'm guessing he would've had 18" anyway.
Then the right side...
He had 1, yes I said ONE, "point" thatwas 12-1/2" long!!! and at the base was about half the diameter of the good side.

It was pretty cool, and like you said wayomic, I would've like to shot him and mounted him for a conversation piece!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

those odd balls are cool bucks to see. My father shot one the other year alot like the one you are talking about. 4 beautiful points on the one side but the other side had a fork. the taxidermist told us it was caused by a injury on the opposite side of the body.It makes quite the conversation piecehanging on the wall.Massive deer it dressed out at 216. I attached a picture.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM

Going by the picture I'd say "our" deer must be your father's deer reincarnated.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

that deer had a body on him didnt he im not used to seeing bodys that big all the deer here have small to avg body size
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

Around here lots of deer have messed up racks, that is the good and bad thing about a great buck to doe ratio....lots of figting= lots of broken tines...3 deer that would have been in the Book but missed because of tine damage....but ILL TAKE IT!!