Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Younger deer dumber?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Younger deer dumber?

I was out walking in the woods yesterday and was sweating like a pig and stopped to have a rest and was climbing up a tree about fifteen feet off the ground and then i sat there for a while in the shade. All of a sudden a real small deer came walking right underneath me as i was sitting in the tree. It stood there for a couple minutes and then finally noticed me. It starred at me for a while and didnt really know what i was until i blinked my eyes it knew i was alive. It started to kick its legs at me real hard on the ground and didnt make any noises from its mouth. It stood there for abould ten minutes kicking its legs on the ground. Then it slowly walked away looking back at me every five feet or so. Ten minutes later it came back with another one about the same size and they kept a little farther back but were very interested in me. I was wondering why they wouldnt run away and why they seemed so interested. Well im leaving to go out on my boat right now but ive been following some deer in the woods near my house for a couple days now and love it! Im very new to the sport of hunting.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Younger deer dumber?

Might have been a couple of young fawns. They are still being taught to fear humansand otherpredators. If they live through this season, they will no doubt have learned this lesson.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

they gotta learn somehow
Old 07-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

me and a 6 pointer had a nice stare down yesterday for about 5 minutes...the he bolted....i also saw 2 really tall spikes
Old 07-16-2006, 04:50 PM

hell ive head big mature does do that same thing during hunting season. i dont know if its the deer being dumb or being weary or just plain nosy. id say a little bit of all 3
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

It knew you were there , but probably didn't view you as a threat or it would have bolted immediately.It may have just been wondering what you were .
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 PM

I had a littlle 1st yr. doe come under my stand at first light and stare at me for a couple of minutes straight a couple of yrs. ago. I could have pissed on it. I decided to let it walk, just b/c it was first light on opening day but I believe they are not dumb just ignorant. LOL
Old 07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

A couple years ago a came across a 4pnt as I walked into my spot. We didn't see eachother until we were about 30 yds apart. He was pretty good size for his age, but clearly a young buck. We both stood there for about 5 minutes, he snorted and stompedfor a bit, then we went back to eating. I wanted to get in my spot before something else came in so I started waiving my hand at him, he just looked at me. Finally he started walking to my right, so I decided to continue walking. I walked by him within 20 yds, the whole time he just stood there watching me. I couldn't believe it, either he was rutting REALLY hard, or he was just young & dumb.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Naw, just young and learning.

As my father would say,
"They ain't dumb. They're smart enough to know the season ain't open yet!"

When I was a kid Isaw big mature bucks wander down off the mountain to get at the apple and pear trees in my parent's back yard, and to the corn field behind it. We could walk out onto the porch and as long as you didn't make too much noise or motion they would just look at you a while, then go back to feeding.
But come fall they turned ghost and never came near again until spring.