Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

frozen venison

Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: frozen venison

If the venison has not thawed you have absolutely nothing to worry about whatso ever. Only if it smells would I throw it out. Meat will stay good for a long time if its wrapped correctly and kept frozen. Im still eating soem vension from back in 2002 that is perfectly fine. Being a former butcherI know my meat.....double wrap, and keep frozen untill the day you wantto use it.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM

I remember reading in some reputable publication that beef takes many years to spoil if kept frozen. And even then, you wouldn't get sick, it just wouldn't taste very good. I would imagine the same would apply to most other meats like venison.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:18 PM

As long as it stays completely frozen, the only thing you have to worry about is freezer burn, and what your state game laws say about it.

In PA you "have to" use up your venison by the start of the next years season.

But as far a eating it, If it's not burnt then it theoretically is good for a long time. (remember,they have tested Mastadon meat deep frozen in the artic for tens of thousands of years and found it perfectly edible)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I usually try and eat it up within a year and if it is getting close to a year I give it to my neighbors.They love it!
Elkshed