Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods. >

Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods.

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8
Several years ago I was stalked by a large cougar. After several seconds of screaming and clawing action, the cougar layed down and went to sleep. It now hangs on the wall of my den. It was 7 foot 2 inches and met its demise not 15 yards from me. What a feeling that was as you only have a 2% chance of surviving a cougar attack.
I would like to hear the full story on this one.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: janesburg

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter_06

hunting with my uncles, dad and cousins i was watching the grassy patch next to my stand i saw some thing that was brown moving. then i heard a squak from whatever the brown thing was then a shot. no more than that shot went off deer were everywhere scared thecrap out of me but i did get a doe that day in what i think was deer mass confusion there must have be 20-30 deer. next time i hope to be ready for two of them maybe three.
So you shoot at something you couldn't be sure was a deer? (brown thing)
Do yourself a favor and don't post stories of 30 inch bucks and gutting it with a stick. Also, don't tell another story of how unsafe you are by shooting at something that you don't know what it is. 99% of guys posting on here are probably safe hunters. You are an accident waiting to happen, and when that accident happens it reflects on all hunters in a way. How old are you? Did you take a hunter safety class?
Not that his stories aren't a little crazy but you should read the sentence again. From what i can tell he heard a shot and the deer jumped after somone else shot at them.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know about feeling some what nervous about being in the dark. I was a Army Ranger for 5 years so I have trained in some very intense areas of the world. There is still one spot on my brother-in-laws land to this day that just gives me the creeps. I think it is a childhood thing , I went there after the army to face my fear and ifit was still there. There is an old house foundation in the edge of the woods and it just send chills up my spine when I go by it. Just seems to have a connection with me.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that gets the creeps sometimes. At least some of us will admit it. LOL
Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that gets the creeps sometimes. At least some of us will admit it. LOL
Anyone who doesn't is lying. Everyone has gotten the creeps at some point or another. When I walk through the woods alone first thing in the morning when it is still dark, I garrantee that I walk a little faster than normal.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

More years ago than I'll admit, my friends uncle, who was handicapped, was hunting from his car. He had really bad legs and used to drive his VW Rabbit onto this field hilltop. Well we hear him shoot, then shoot again, then shoot again and again and again. Like 5 shots, which was unusual, because he's a good shot. Well, we ran over to see what was wrong and find him sitting in his car, shaking his head. He tells us about this buck standing in this little patch of woods, he shoots it and it falls in it's track. But then it jumps back up. Shoots - falls. Shoots falls, etc. we go down to this little patch of woods and weeds and find3 small bucks laying there. Apparently with all the pressure in the woods they found this little patch of woods inviting.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:45 PM

yea i think i get extremely scared when i scare myself.i mean that walking in the woods im alright if i just think about hunting or anything else except for danger lol- but as soon as i think of a killer, bear or something stalking me i let my mind run(especially in the morning when im still half asleep) and i scare myself. i have actually ran to the trailer after a hunt, and not because i was really scared of the woods, just b/c i allowed my mind to overreact and scare myself - thinking something was in the woods. your mind is a very creative and strong thing, lol and letting it gointo exageration mode at 4 in the morning isnt the best idea lol.its a very weird feeling lol.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Couple years ago I went for an early morning coyote hunt by myself. I was hunting between two fields where a farmer usually keeps a row of bails. Well, I was layin on my side and the end of the bails with the call buried in the grass a few feet away. I was only paying attention to one direction because there was a den about 500 yds away in the tree line. I'd been there for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden something hits soy bean stubble right behind me! First thing to come to mind was a 'yote had snuck up on me and was ready to pounce. I rolled to my other side and mounted the gun in one motion only to see a red-tailed hawk coming off the pounce no more than 5 feet from my head....thankfully its senses were a little off that day. Needless to say my heart was pounding!

About 2 years ago while bow hunting, I had just packed my climber and thrown it on my back ready to leave after an afternoon hunt. Just before I took my first step I heard something coming towards me. First thought was a deer. So I let it get closer and closer but then it starts to circle me. So now I'm thinking it could be a yote b/c I'd heard a pack howl just before dark, even though they sounded far off. I start shouting a few things and search with my light to try to find eyes but the thing stills keeps circling me. So I start walking and it starts to follow me! By now I'm starting to get a little freaked and I'm still shouting things at it while I'm trying to get out of the woods quickly. After about 50 yards I stop again to see if I can see eyes. I finally catch some with the light.....and it was so close that I could not only see the eyes but make out a white face! Turns out it was a curious possum! haha To see that it was a only a possum was the most relieving feeling on earth! haha
Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

ORIGINAL: A.D.D. BOY Usually one of these up every year so ill start it off this year. What is the most craziest thing that has happend to you or you have seen in the woods.

Mine was going to get a downed deer with my dad on someons property. Which is are legal right because you're allowed to go get downed deer. This guy pulls up, a known butt hole. And my dad say's stay here if he has a gun draw and if he does anything else shoot him. Sure enough walks up with a shotgun and a pistol, and I stand up and draw on him. So were all looking down barrels of guns, he bails.

*Side note "SOMEONE" just happend to try and break into the house that night, thanks to A.D.T. or whatever that thing is called and my dads .45 no one ever tried to break in again.
Is it just me or is this a rerun that has already been posted? Like last year?
Yes in my first post I said
Usually one of these up every year so ill start it off this year. What is the most craziest thing that has happend to you or you have seen in the woods.
And that story which happend a few years ago is still the craziest thing that has happend to me.

In my opinion you were tresspassing when you crossed the property line. In the case of finding a shot deer that crosses the property line you should have contacted the landowner or called a game warden. It takes an idiot to pull a gun on another person for something as trivial as a dead deer. Just because the deer has been shot by you on another property doesn't give you any rights to cross the property line. Pull that crap on my property and I'll have you arrested. If you contact me and explain the situation I'll gladly let you get your deer, probably help you get it out of the woods, but pulling a gun is stupid.
The deer was dead we could see it. And here in ohio it is legal to track a wounded animal/and or retrive a dead animal you can see on someone else's property without there permission. We lived right down the road from this man. We did a small drive on the 5 acres across the street of my house at the time, we owned these 5 acres. We also had written permission from our friend who's property (5 acres, thousands of acres were auctiond off biggest farm in the county right across the street from us so we bought it.) Was also infront of my house and besided the land we owned. We also had permission from the farmer who bought the rest of the acres behind the 5 we owned to hunt on it. We shot it on the land we had permission to hunt, this man's land that it died on bordered our friends/farmers land we had permission to hunt on. And like I have said before it is legal to go and get it so thats what we were gona do. We called the cop's and all. Even game warden we were in are legal rights to do what we did.

Exactly. I would never point a weapon at anyone unless I was prepared to shoot. What would you have done if he had raised his rifle and started to point it at you?
To be honest I would of shot. He first threatend my real dad's life whith a shotgun and pistol,(my dad had a shotgun but no ammo). And then he would be threatening my life with either a pistol or a shotgun. Whatever one he chose to point at me. I would of shot him. Many people called me stupid for not shooting him when he pulled on my dad. My dad was mad that I didnt shoot him then.

Wow, just....wow. You and your dad both should never be allowed to own or operate a firearm, ever. That's just amazing.
This man has pulled a gun on people that live on my street before. We were being prepared for the worse. This man even tried to brake into my house that night. Now I didnt personaly see him but put the pieces together. Guy pulls gun on us. I pull on him. Cops called, give him a warning and slap on wrists. Later that night "someone" tries to brake in. This man is a dick and needs to be in jail.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 PM

Windwalker7, I know a guy who hunts in Centre county PA. He told me he seen a Mt Loin with his own eyes during turkey season. It was within 20 yrds during daylight hrs so there was no mistaking it for something else. It wouldn't shock me one bit if that's what you ran into. I don't understand how people are so skeptical of Mt Lions in PA. I've hunted my whole life and have never seen a bobcat or a bobcat track but I know they are there.

Quick Reply: Wildest thing that happend to you in the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.