HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Wal Mart Treestand???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/14577-wal-mart-treestand.html)

WVMountaineer 11-01-2002 10:02 AM

Wal Mart Treestand????

I am going to buy a treestand this year, for gun season. I just wanted to know if it is a good idea to buy one of the fixed position stands from Wal-mart. I want to make sure I get something decent but I cannot afford to pay a $hitload of money on it. I saw where WalMart had one for like 90 bucks. Do you think this is a good idea? Or are they crappy and not worth the $$$$????? Thanks in advance!

Starrman 11-01-2002 10:15 AM

RE: Wal Mart Treestand????

Well, I would personally think of your safety. There are some inexpensive stands out there that are sturdy. I have not heard of this brand. I doubt that Wall Mart has a place in the store where you can try it on a fake tree, but I would say if you are certain this thing will hold you all day, go for it. The last thing you want to do is want to buy some piece of $h1T to find out when you get out there, you have this thing falling apart on you. It will ruin your whole day, and you wont be focused on hunting. What do you want to spend?

Starrman

Ron Starr

WVMountaineer 11-01-2002 10:19 AM

I would like to keep the price under 100 bucks... My wife and I just had a little girl and you know how that hits the finances!

Starrman 11-01-2002 10:48 AM

Here are some suggestions: These are not Wall Mart but you can order these from Cabellas for cheap and you will get them fast. This is my experience anyways from ordering from them as well as some buddies. Remember, usually your less costly stands are more than likely going to be heavier but here are a few. A buddy of mine is in the same situation and he just bought a Mega Bucklight Magnum from Cabellas for $79 bucks and it comes with a saftey harness. Nice stand he likes it. Its only 13 pounds. Another good one another buddy has is also from Cabellas called the SS Lounger. He paid around $89 bucks for this, comes with a saftey harness, but is around 37 pounds. Very good sturdy stand! If you want to spend maybe a couple of more dollars, One buddy of mine has something called the Baby Grand Light Twister made from Outdoors INC. This is probally a little bit more compfy for $120. No saftey harness though. These are all from Cabellas and ordering them over the phone would be best for these because they come within a couple of days. Another neat stand I seen if your interested in an inexpensive climber is something called the Cabellas Elite Climber. 32 Pounds. This is for $129 though. I would recommend The Mega bucklight or the SS lounger in your case. But all are reliable stands. Cheap too. Just some suggestions.

Starrman

Ron Starr

longbowman 11-01-2002 11:14 AM

I personally have 4 Wal-Mart treestands up in my hunting area right now. They are all Hunter's View chain on's and I feel very comfortable in them. I bought a Cabela's chain on last year and it's "exactly the same stand I bought at Wally-World and for the same price. They all come with a safety harness and be sure you use it!

longbowman 11-01-2002 11:15 AM

I personally have 4 Wal-Mart treestands up in my hunting area right now. They are all Hunter's View chain on's and I feel very comfortable in them. I bought a Cabela's chain on last year and it's "exactly the same stand I bought at Wally-World and for the same price. They all come with a safety harness and be sure you use it!

burniegoeasily 11-01-2002 11:27 AM

I have fixed tree stands. My brother bought them so Im not sure where they came from. They work and the comfort all depends on how you set them up. The only thing I dont like about them is they are hard to relocate. I like mine, I have shot deer out of them. I have also made tree stands with old two by fours. They work fine as well. Like I said, its all about what you want and what you are willing to pay. Now if I didnt have my own land I dont think I would want these type of stands. They are not real convienent to put up and take down. I scout and put mine up in the summer and leave them until the end of the season.

Lifes a garden, dig it.

WVMountaineer 11-01-2002 12:11 PM

Thanks for all of the information fellas! You have really helped me a lot! Thanks again.

M.Magis 11-01-2002 01:14 PM

You may also want to check out the Loggy Bayou Cheap Seat. Only around $60.00. 18.5" x 27" platform, fold out seat, and only weighs about 7 lbs. You can get them online or any proshop that carries Loggy stands.